Tank ODOR!!!!

• Phillipw311
  • Phillipw311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Phillipw311 replied the topic: Re:Tank ODOR!!!!

Hey thanks for chiming in! My room temp is usually 64-70. I turn the heat low up here at night because I sleep downstairs.. But my water temp is always right at 79 degrees. And so you guys think my tank is not cycled?? I'm assuming its not based off of the information you guys have shared. What do you mean by my filters aren't working properly?? Do you mean that as in the mechanical and biological filters aren't working because there's not enough bacteria colonies yet?? If so, what can I do to speed up the addition of good bacteria colonies??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re:Tank ODOR!!!!

follow up question:

when was the first time you set up your tank?
exact date when you put your fish?
have you clean your filter from the time you run them?

cleaning too much of the filter disturb the colonization and disrupt the
good function of the medias in there... not working properly yet means
there is not enough bb to process the waste...

fish excrete more slime to protect themselves when water is not yet establish,
perhaps that is the reason why it is very smelly at this point in time...

do 25% water change daily to help expedite cycling while fish in there already.
DO NOT CLEAN YET ANY OF THE FILTERS!

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Okay thanks a lot Draco. HUGE HELP!!!! I set it up and dosed it with artificial bacteria 1/15/15. I added my baby O 1/29/15. so filter replacement was a bad idea?? And I retested my water conditions and my ammonia is in between 0 and 0.25ppm. I even had my buddy look at it and he agreed. So I should just do 25% water changes daily and NOT clean or replace filters again until my ammonia levels drop to 0?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re:Tank ODOR!!!!

yes... that could help expedite establishing the filtration...
it will also help if you put cover on top.... put some towel
if it is possible on top of your glass cover just to minimize
evaporation...

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I have glass tops on it currently.. It has about a 3" gap on the back on one of them and the other side has about a quarter of an inch gap in it. The one that's 3" is for the side that my HOB filter is on. I need to install the spacer flap.. I just haven't had time to cut out a portion of it for the HOB filter. The other side is the feeding side so there's just enough gap for me to drop pellets through.

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

My tank has one of those center support braces. And the glass tops go between the support beam. I lose about a half inch of water a week. I learned that prior to adding my O when I wasn't changing any of the water.

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Hey everybody I also meant to ask. So I am as of today going to start 25% DAILY water changes until I can get my tank 110% cycled and get my ammonia level to 0ppm exact. Like I said I tested it three times yesterday and all three times I got the same result. I stand just over 0 but it's not quite 0.25ppm.. It's basically halfway between 0-0.25ppm is the best way I can explain it. Okay here's my question I meant to ask last night pertaining to daily water changes. So, I obviously have to add water conditioner to remove chlorine from my added tap water. Should I also be adding any of the API Quick Start? Basically I am asking if I should be dosing the water daily with artificial good bacteria?? If yes, should I add 50 ml daily? 50 being for my full tank size or do I just add say 15-20ml since I'm only changing 25%? I don't know if I should let the tank cycle by itself or if that would boost the cycle. I don't want to add that and then it end up hurting me more than helping, but I thought I'd ask the professionals!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Tank ODOR!!!!

In order for you to cycle an aquarium you actually need ammonia, that's what feeds the bacteria in the filtration system. So if you are changing lots of water each day which in turn is basically removing all the ammonia, there's nothing for the bacteria to feed on and you'll never get the cycle finish. I would suggest that you leave Off a water change until you get about .5 of ammonia, then do a water change. What you could do is get some prime, Seachem manufacture it, if you add that on a daily basis that will detoxify any ammonia and your fish will be okay. Remind me, what is your pH?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Tank ODOR!!!!

Okay, I've just checked a previous post you made. So I can see that you said your water was 79°F and your pH 7.0 (neutral)

If we now look at how ammonia behaves in conjunction with pH and temperature, we can actually see that the ammonia present in your tank is not going to have any serious effect on your fish at the moment. So I really don't think you need to do any water changes. In fact, as long as you keep your water temperature around 25°C, that's around 78°F, the pH remains at neutral, you can afford to let the ammonia get a little bit higher, this should then speed up the cycling process. I know this for sure because when I had my big tank, I had a problem with the filter I didn't realise, however because my pH was around 6.0, and the temperature was around 26°C, even though I had an ammonia reading of 5.0, the fish then appeared to show any signs of stress. Obviously got it sorted out ASAP, shouldn't be reading it like that. And you really want to be seeing a zero reading of ammonia

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Okay great! Thank you for the advice! I am nervous about this because I don't want to be harming my baby O.. I know they are a very hardy and tough species, but that still isn't really fair to the fish to put him through this.. I haven't had this issue in years as before I always took filters and water out of established tanks to jump start new set ups. Sadly on my 55 gallon I had to start from complete scratch.. I am not very smart with the nitrogen cycle. I have always struggled understanding the chemistry of it. I am not good with chemistry whatsoever... Haha but I'll be good to go as far as maintaining a healthy environment if I can ever get my tank to cycle.. I tested my pH yesterday and I don't remember which one it was but I know its either literally perfect or just shy of it. It was either 7.0 or 7.2. and as far as I know either would be more than acceptable. Also, shouldn't I have nitrate if I have ammonia?? I've always thought you'd have high nitrate and ammonia on a non cycled tank. I checked and checked again. I bought the API Master Kit 2 weeks ago and for two weeks multiple tests have all showed the exact same. I followed every step very carefully and even used a stop watch to verify that I was vigorously shaking the bottles and test tubes long enough.. And I ALWAYS come out with a very good pH, ammonia-0.25ppm, nitrate & nitrite both sit dead on 0ppm. And I don't understand how I have ammonia but yet don't have nitrite or nitrate. I even set the stop watch for the 5 minute wait to allow the solution mix time to develop color as the instructions advise. Please somebody give me some insight on what is going on and what I am doing wrong so that I can correct this issue! I love my fish and he acts fine but I don't want to be hurting or killing him. Or making it where if he makes it through this he'll have an early stunted growth or die prematurely because of this. Thank you all for taking the time of day to help me.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds