water changes.tank with overflows . need help understanding

• salmonator
  • salmonator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

salmonator created the topic: water changes.tank with overflows . need help understanding

So I just purchased my new 180 gallon tank. It's my first drilled tank. It's and aqeoun megaflow. So basically if I want to do a large water change every week how would I go about this without loosing a siphon . Should I close return and drain lines . Then shut off pump and start draining from the d.t.? How do I know when to stop filling? And when refilling is there anything to be sure I DONT DO?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: water changes.tank with overflows . need help understanding

I'm not that familiar with this type of setup. However, I had something that sounds similar on my 300 gallon aquarium. Basically I had to overflow boxes connected inside the tank, they were placed at each end of the aquarium. When you put water in the tank for the first time you would keep putting water in until the water started flowing into the overflow boxes and then down into the sump. When there was enough water in the sump you would stop putting water Into the aquarium. When I did a water change I would switch the pump off, however there was no need to close any return valves. Now when you have sump filter Any water evaporation will happen in the sump, not the aquarium.So when it comes to doing a water change, you take the water out to the level you want. Then you start adding the water back in. When the water gets to a level where it's going to start entering the overflow boxes, you can either let it go into the sump to refill the hats, or you can stop putting water in as soon as it starts flowing into the overflow boxes. When you switch to pump back on the siphon will start.

Obviously this is what I used to do, from your description, I'm not entirely familiar with your system so I'm sorry if I've confused you, all my information was not what you're looking for. I'm sure somebody who is familiar with your system will chime in at some stage.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• salmonator
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

salmonator replied the topic: water changes.tank with overflows . need help understanding

I think I understand. I've got the same thing pretty much. Two overflows which will lead into a sump. The aqueon megaflow system has slots in three levels on the overflow boxes. So I guess I'm just worried when I drain my tank for a water change that it will break the siphon. Or does that not matter? Should I just turn off the pump and refill after ,turn on pump, then fill accordingly to fill my sump to the max line.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: water changes.tank with overflows . need help understanding

Sorry, there are a few typos in my last message, that was due to my speech recognition, I was typing in a hurry because somebody was here so I neglected to check which I should have done.

Is there any chance you can take a video of it in working operation? I think your setup is slightly different to mine. What you don't want to happen with a sump filter is if the pump goes off for some reason, you don't want the water to keep draining into the sump because that will cause a flood. This is why I'm slightly confused with your setup. If you picture in your mind water flowing over a weir. If the water suddenly drops below the level of the weir it will stop flowing over. Obviously with my setup, as soon as I switched my pump off, the water would stop entering the tank from the sump, however a small amount of water would continue to flow into the overflow box but then stop. This is why I want to see your setup. If you have several slots for water to flow out, but they are below the waterline by several inches, then my way of thinking would mean the water would continue to flow out of the tank until the water drop below those slot levels. If this is the case then you would need to switch the pump off and close any valves to stop the water from exiting the tank. Then you would carry out your water change, refill the sump if need be, then switch the pump back on after opening the valves. I'm sorry if this is not the case, I would need to see what you are using. Mine was quite simplistic and easy to manage. Because the water only flowed out from the top of the outlet boxes the water would stop flowing pretty quickly at the pump was switched off. However, if I was to continue to put water into my tank with the valves still open, thus letting water into the sump, I could still cause a flood, you would always need to check the level of the water in the sump filter.

Mine was a home-made sump, I think yours is commercially available one that we don't get here in the UK so I've never really seen one. However, they normally work in a similar way, but some of them are just slightly designed differently.

• salmonator
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

salmonator replied the topic: water changes.tank with overflows . need help understanding

Yup sound exactly like mine. I have a durso standpupe that I will be using inside of my overflow. The only difference between yours and mine is on my overflow there are teeth on top openings in the middle and the bottom. Supposed to be better circulation or something. My sump will be homemade as well. I havnt set it up yet. So don't have any pics and I don't know how to upload them to here

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Okay, it's probably best to wait and see if someone else chimes in, just the backup what I have said. However, if your system is working in almost the same way as mine then the siphon will start automatically as soon as the water reaches the level where it starts draining into the inlet pipe. In my case, I had these large overflow boxes, but the inlet was actually right at the bottom. This was actually not a very good design because it made a lot of noise due to the water having to fall 2.5 feet.Ideally I would have wanted the inlet right at the top so that the water wasn't dropping like a waterfall.

Like I said, if yours is the same as mine then I don't think you need to shut anything. The only time we got to be careful is when you are refilling your tank after a water change. Obviously once the water starts going into the overflow boxes and down into the sump, keep an eye on how much water is in the sump, I did have one instance where I forgot and it started overflowing out of the sump.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: water changes.tank with overflows . need help understanding

sounds like a built in overflow with standpipe - the teeth on the overflow is skim the top surface and prevent big pieces of material flowing into your standpipe...or dead fish...lol

i would think there's 2 openings in the overflow .. one for standpipe and the other for outlet where water pumps back into the tank. With the standpipe - you should have a little hole, the size of a silicone tube - that's where air escapes to start the siphon and quiet down the standpipe.

When performing water changes, you'll need to turn off the sump pump - let the water drain so it stops water overflowing - perform your water change routine. when filling - add water till you hear water entering your overflow - i made many mistakes forgetting about it...and it over filled my sump and made a huge mess.

i was planing to change my overflow setup to use a Herbie overflow configuration - i'll get the video in a sec

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds