Is 8 fish too much for my tank?

• chkinut
  • chkinut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

chkinut created the topic: Is 8 fish too much for my tank?

Hi guys!!! I recently set up my biggest tank yet.....125 gallon. I have 2 baby oscars (tiger and albino) a Jack Dempsey, a Gar and 4 silver dollars. All are babies and all get along. Will 125 gallon be enough for their life spans?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11

Jauch21 replied the topic: Is 8 fish too much for my tank?

It may work for now while they're juveniles, but when they reach adult size the tank will be too small. Based on what their aggression level is when they reach adult size, you may be able to keep an O and a Jack. Or the two O's. I think most will recommend just one O and the silver dollars. The experts should chime in soon.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Is 8 fish too much for my tank?

A 125 gallon is barely big enough for 2 oscars, and even then it will be unlikely that they'll get along. There is absolutely no room for other fish. A JD and an oscar will also be likely to fight. A good setup for a 125 would be one oscar and a few silver dollars.

What filtration are you using?

I can second the jack and oscar fighting from experience.

• chkinut
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

chkinut replied the topic: Is 8 fish too much for my tank?

Thanks so very much guys!! When I had oscars years ago I know we did it wrong! I didn't know it then tho. We had a pleco, a couple convicts, a JD and 2 oscars in a 75!!! And they all miraculously got along. Well, I could take the JD and Gar back to the store and later.....if the oscars end up not liking each other, I can rehome one. Does that sound like a good plan? I have 2 HOB filters from Aqueon that are each meant for up to 90 gallons.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Is 8 fish too much for my tank?

Welcome to our community. The guys have you covered, however when I had my 125 gallon I had eheim 2028 canister filters, both rated at 132 gallons each. They provided excellent filtration for the fish I had. I had a couple of Oscars, one Jade Eyed Cichlid, & One other fish which I just can't remember offhand.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

I would add a canister filter to your set up with that size of tank. I personally have only owned fluval filters and they're great. A lot of people swear by eheim. If your on a budget, SunSun canisters are effective and really cheap.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Is 8 fish too much for my tank?

Fewer fish means few hassles on the bio-load. It might or might not work out with the JD and one O, but mixing SA and CA cichlids is risky as it is with any large cichlid. Silver Dollars do not have a significant bio-load, so you could keep one O and a medium SA cichlid with the SDs. Or you might try one O one pleco and some silver dollars. Two Os might work, but nothing else and would be a crap shoot as to whether or not they get along.

I keep one 8 inch O (still growing!) a 12 inch common pleco, a 3.5 inch severum, and three giant danios in a 125 gallon. I have plenty of filtration and plant filters and keep the nitrates at an acceptable level doing one 90-95% water change a week.

You have to assess what kind of care you want to put into the tank and then assess the fish you want accordingly. The more fish (within reasonable limits), the more maintenance your tank will require.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Is 8 fish too much for my tank?

welcome to ofl :)

in my opinion just the 2 oscars and your fully stocked you can also go with 1 oscar and the JD however Jack Dempseys are known for being aggressive so a divider or spare tank should be kept on hand just in case of course you can also go with 1 oscar and the silver dollars however if you do keep the silver dollars you might wont to get 2 or 4 more sins that do best in large numbers
it should also be mentioned that you will probably need to do multiply large water changes a week to keep water quality good with the above stocks so that's something to think about

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• chkinut
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

chkinut replied the topic: Is 8 fish too much for my tank?

Everyone here has been so nice and helpful!!! I took note of the filter suggestions a couple of u had!! I will buy another filter in a few months. Man!!! I've only had my oscars for a week or so and already I am attached to them!! I show them their pellets before I feed them and they learned VERY quickly what to expect when they see the bag!! I love BOTH equally as much and it would be hard to pick which one to get rid of. I should've come here first before I bought them. I did a lot of research before I bought them tho, did research on good tank mates too and came across a lot of sites that said u can put a JD in with them. I also read that 1 Oscar for a 75 and 2 for a 125 with another tank mate......hence I chose the Jack. I also read SD don't add much to the bio load and they clean up after the Os. Well, I am thinking of having 2 Os and the SDs. But I don't think I should buy more SD should I? I have 4.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds