New tank questions

• earhtmother
  • earhtmother's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

earhtmother created the topic: New tank questions

I am not new to fish but it has been a while since I set up the tank. Setting up a 65 for two rescue fish. I know I need to cycle and was planning on using Danios to do it, I have two tanks running atm and I know I can use media from these to help as well as the fish. Would Water from these tanks be as useful as media since the media in both the old tanks are both closed cartridges and not loose wool. Could use some of the gravel as well but would prefer not to.
Any suggestions are welcome. And how many Danios should I use and for how long? Or is it just a matter of getting the right levels.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: New tank questions

Hello, welcome to our little community.

I don't think I would bother with water from an existing aquarium, that really isn't going to add anything at all. You may get a little bit of beneficial bacteria in the gravel, but again, it's not going to be very much at all. It's the biological media that holds the really good stuff, if you could get a small amount of that to Seed the new filter then that would be a good start.

Unless you want to do a fishless cycle which would probably be quicker and Do away the need for water changes and fish, then the danios would be perfect. As for how many, probably start off with 10 to begin with and see how it goes. You obviously need another ammonia to kick start the cycling. But obviously you'll need to change the water to keep the fish alive during this process.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds