How Long Do Aquariums Last

• Paula
  • Paula's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Paula created the topic: How Long Do Aquariums Last

I'm sure this has been asked before but I just adopted out my turtle to a pond environment. I'd like to get an Oscar again.

My 75 gallon is 2001 & I've never had any problems with it but now that there's no inhabitants but still up & running I'm wondering what to do.

Should I just sell it being it's 14 years old? I'm in no position to be bothered scraping off silicone & resealing the whole thing "in case"........

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: How Long Do Aquariums Last

If it stayed in one spot, always had water, and the silicone job was done real well, it should continue to last. Seals get compromised when moved from place to place or kept in a dry environment without any water.

• Paula
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Paula replied the topic: How Long Do Aquariums Last

Thanks Rocksor but is there anything I should look at as far as the silicone presently there goes e.g. Colour/texture etc? When you say "continue to last" do you mean another year? 5 years?
Lifespan of an Oscar?

• Paula
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Paula replied the topic: How Long Do Aquariums Last

Oh I forgot......realistically do tanks usually develop a slow leak or an explosion? I don't want to sell as I stated but I didn't want the worry either lol.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: How Long Do Aquariums Last

Paula wrote: Oh I forgot......realistically do tanks usually develop a slow leak or an explosion? I don't want to sell as I stated but I didn't want the worry either lol.

this question relates to what rocksor stated - depends on the area the tank's stored, if it has water, have the tank been moved frequently - there's always a chance of the silicon being ripped during a water change or move ..... or the tank's not leveled can cause the glass to bowl out.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: How Long Do Aquariums Last

i have two old tanks... a 75 and 55 gal ... 20 and 16 years old already... never been resealed ... and still usable... however, the 75 has a Ficus plants in the corner and seem the roots had creep-in inside the tank through the tiniest gap... i can see roots inside the tank and the tanks is showing a leak LOL!

and Rock is correct, it will last for more than 20 years...

if the glass hasn't blown out by now then theoretically it shouldn't if nothing hits the glass. My guess is that it would develop a slow leak if anything. You can always check for a slow leak by running a paper towel along the edges to suck up any water. They also slip easily between the tank and stand so you can check that.

I like to have a planB if a tank unexoectedly gives way meaning I have a 44 gallon brute rubber maid in the garage ready to hold any fish if needed.

I would expect an aquarium that old to be of better quality than the newer Tetra brands from Petco.

Keep the tank perfectly level or dont move it if it's been in its current location for the last 14 years.

PeteMoss replied the topic: How Long Do Aquariums Last

The silicone at that age is the only concern I would have. The glass should be just fine.

If it were me, I would scrape off as much of the old silicone as I could with a razor, then redo the silicone.

GE#1 silicone from your hardware store is perfectly aquarium safe. Make sure it is #1. Mold and mildew resistant silicone needs to be avoided as it is not safe.

If you put down painters tape 1/4" away from the corners, then put a bead of silicone, and then remove the tape, you get a very clean straight edge on your silicone.

With new silicone your tanks should be fine! The rims are what holds the glass safely in place, silicone is what keeps it water tight.

If the silicone in the corners is a concern, you might as well separate the glass panes and remove the silicone attaching them together and redo those as well. On a tank that old, removing the silicone from the corners has a higher chance of compromising the old silicone holding the glass together. Personally, I wouldn't tempt fate by just redoing the silicone in the corner.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: How Long Do Aquariums Last

I have a tank that belonged to my parents when they still had fish, 4ft tank that sat empty during 10 years before i started using it, I filled it outside and left it like that for a few days, no changes in waterlevel so no leaks.
The tank is about 30 years old now and hasn't had anything done to it besides a new background.
The building on old aquariums is mostly alot better quality wise then modern aquariums so you should be safe.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paula

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds