How necessary are air stones

• L.West
  • L.West's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

L.West created the topic: How necessary are air stones

If I remove my airstones and put in a powerhead to add to circulation - should I be fine. I have two AC110's running on my 75 gallon tank with one small baby oscar in it.

I would really like to remove the airstones because I went "bare bottom" and am having a hard time keeping them seated on the bottom of the tank. I heard on other forums that they aren't really necessary - your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: How necessary are air stones

L.West wrote: If I remove my airstones and put in a powerhead to add to circulation - should I be fine. I have two AC110's running on my 75 gallon tank with one small baby oscar in it.

I would really like to remove the airstones because I went "bare bottom" and am having a hard time keeping them seated on the bottom of the tank. I heard on other forums that they aren't really necessary - your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Airstones are for additional oxygen, but I do not use them. I use filter only.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L.West

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: How necessary are air stones

With 2 large filters you dont need an airstone or a powerhead. The water flow from AC 110's is quite high and the waterfall effect will draw atmospheric O2 into the water column. From your other thread re water changes.... no such thing as too much or too often. The more water you change in a cichlid tank, the better the fish will do. There is more in the water than just nitrate and frequent water changes removes other toxins as well.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• L.West
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

L.West replied the topic: How necessary are air stones

Glad to hear that I can remove the air stones. I have an extra powerhead that I thought I would just add to the tank. But, being that she is still very small - I may wait on that.

Yes, I agree about the water changes - never too much or too large of a water change but many disagree with that.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: How necessary are air stones

lol, those that disagree with that are lacking in knowledge of cichlid care and requirements. I just now finished a 75% w/c on a 180 tank. Tank has 1 large cichlid in it. I do this every 3-4 days, not because the tank needs it, but because the fish thrives with the cleanest water possible.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: How necessary are air stones

These devices that are made to create lots of bubbles are mostly added by people because it makes a nice effect in the tank. The filtration when setup properly should give you adequate oxygenation in the water, if it doesn't then you haven't got it set up properly. However, if you experience a very hot summer and don't have air conditioning then using an air stone to introduce additional oxygen into the water is a good idea. Alternatively, just turn heaters down during periods of Hot weather.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: How necessary are air stones

An airstone works just like filters, by providing water surface agitation. When this happens carbon dioxide from the water is released, allowing the oxygen in the air to "swap" places with the carbon dioxide that was in the water. This increases the oxygen levels in your water.

Airstones also have an advantage over any filter in that they require very little wattage to work. This becomes important during a power outage, where you just need 2 DD batteries in an air pump to ensure that your fish are not gasping for air as the carbon dioxide increases in the aquarium.

• L.West
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

L.West replied the topic: How necessary are air stones

Yes, I do have backup battery operated air pumps/stones for power outages. I also invested in a nice generator for these times also. Lost everything a few years ago due to a prolonged power outage so I learned a very valuable lesson.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds