New tank, old filters

• slim12368
  • slim12368's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

slim12368 created the topic: New tank, old filters

Very soon I will finally be setting up a 125 gallon tank. Ill be using pool filter sand for the substrate and driftwood and lava rock for ornaments. I plan on using two well established emperor 400 filters and a well established emperor 280 as filtration plus a couple of 180 gph power heads. What I'm wondering is what kind of cycle time I'll be looking at for this tank. All of my livestock will be juvenile, under 2 inches. In theory with the well established biowheels on these filters ( all have been running in heavily stocked tanks for over a year) I should be able to stock my tank within a couple of days after setting it up yes ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: New tank, old filters

you can stock your tank immediately if all the filters are already cycled in fact if you leave your filters without a ammonia source for 2 days you can lose the cycle

on a side note if you're stalking your tank with cichlid you're probably going to need more filtration i would recommend a canister filter

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim12368

• Thank you received: 11

Jauch21 replied the topic: New tank, old filters

I used to have a 110 gallon and two fluval 406's. I upgraded to a 240 gallon and transfered all the cycled media to two new fluval fx6's. I also added more fish. It took about a week for the bio to catch up to the new stock. Just watch your water parameters and change water as needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim12368

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds