cold water

• Vaughan T
  • Vaughan T's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Vaughan T created the topic: cold water

Hey there, my name is Vaughan and I live in South Africa. My heater broke into pieces while cleaning my tank 2 days ago. I live on a farm far away from any shops, and might only be able to get a new one in 3 days time. I can already feel a big drop in temp and is getting colder every day. Will my Oscar still be okay, cos I can see he is getting very still and miserable? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: cold water

Hi there, welcome to our community. We normally recommended minimum temperature around 21°C. Having said that, I'm quite sure that in their native environment the water sometimes gets colder, especially during heavy rain at night. What is a temperature of your water at the moment? If it starts getting close to the minimum we would recommend them the best advice I can give you is to keep the household heating on quite warm until you can get a new heater. That's about the best advice I can give you. I don't think it would be a good idea to start adding warm water, that would just fluctuate too much, you're better off letting the water cool down gradually, at least that would give the Oscar chance to acclimatise

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: cold water

you can try wrapping a blanket around the tank it might help hold some heat in

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: cold water

any idea what is temp inside your house? some people do the pouch approach wherein a hot water was place in a plastic bottle and put t n top of the tank. heat will transfer to the tank water gradually. Just repeat the process say every 12 hours until you got your new heater

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds