Wave maker

• Broom
  • Broom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Broom created the topic: Wave maker

Hi,

After feeding my oscar, scraps of food fall to the bottom and rest on the sand until I vacuum the tank every few days. This especially happens with the pellets I feed him.

I was thinking of adding a wave maker to lift the food off the sand so the the filters can clear the food. What do you think of wave makers and what flow would I need for 75 UK gallon?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Wave maker

Feed smaller pellets and portions of whatever you are feeding. That will minimize the scraps. I also do my best to keep things out of the filter except water. They still have the same effect on water quality, whether it is sitting on the bottom or in the filter. Continue to vac out the left overs and switch to the smaller foods and your problem will be gone.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Wave maker

I would agree with Jason , it would be six of one and half a dozen of the other, It would just mean that you wouldn't be able to see the leftovers. My Oscars only ever got what they wanted, I've seen people just grab handfuls and chuck it in, sometimes that is the wrong thing to do because the fish don't always eat everything.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Broom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Broom replied the topic: Re:Wave maker

Thanks for the input.

I only feed 3 pellets at a time but small pieces come straight through the gills.

I won't bother with the wave maker and just continue to vacuum every few days. It was mainly for my visual benefits more than anything. I'll try a smaller pellet as jmunroe suggests to see if that helps.

Thanks.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Wave maker

What size is your Oscar? Mine is just over 12 inches now and the pellet size of the hikari cichlid gold is small enough that he can take 5-6 at a time in one gulp and not make a mess. The omega one pellets are a bit bigger and he takes 3 at a time of those and sometimes small particles get blown out. I actually try to get him to over stuff his mouth sometimes and make a bit of a mess with it because I have a small male HRP cichlid in the tank with him, and the small mess the Oscar makes is how most of his feeding is done.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Broom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Broom replied the topic: Wave maker

At the moment he is only 7 inches but I'm feeding the Hikari gold large pellets as that's the only size that I could get my hands on. i have a small Raphael cat in the tank with him who seems to enjoy the pellets but he doesn't often make an appearance until I'm in bed.

He does a good job through the night though. I think I'm expecting to much and need to realise that with light sand, I should expect the waste food to be more visible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meno460

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Wave maker

just feed a few bits at a time and try not to overfeed

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Thank you received: 0

savagerican replied the topic: Re:Wave maker

I have a power head all the way at the bottom of my tank pointing to the other end of my tank. It pushes whatever isn't eaten right to my fx5 and my tank is always clean on the bottom (i go bare bottom with no gravel)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds