What filters

• Vinny
  • Vinny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8

Vinny created the topic: What filters

What's the best choice for my 125g.. Currently fluval fx6 and 306.. I'm OK with leaving it as is but I do have a fluval 305 and fx5 sitting. Was planning on throwing the 305 on my 48g bow front as a backup tank/filter and selling the fx5 but figured I'd ask for some opinions on it. I know mores always good but do I really need more or should I go with my original plans of tank 2 and selling. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: What filters

Assuming that you are fairly lightly stocked, the Fx6 and 306 should be more than adequate on the 125 gallon aquarium. When I had my 125 gallon I had a couple of Eheim canister filters, both of which were rated to 135 gallons. I certainly don't think I would be reducing the filtration you've got. People have always stated that he can't have too much filtration on an Oscar aquarium. However, you can certainly have more than you need, there's no point in putting enormous amounts of filtration when it's just not necessary. If you are carrying out water test on a regular basis then you should be able to tell from the results whether your filtration is working well. If ammonia and nitrite are always zero, and you've got a healthy nitrate reading after a week then you know that your biological filter is doing the job it's supposed to do.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Vinny
  • Vinny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:What filters

That's what I. Was figuring. Tank is however fully stocked once fish hit adulthood but test and water changes are easier and cheaper. Now I have my excuse to put my other tank back up and sell the fx5

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds