Best filter

• Jamal
  • Jamal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Jamal created the topic: Best filter

Hey guys I was looking into buying a canister filter for my 55 gallon. Which one is appropriate for my size tank. My hang on the back filters are just getting in they way and I afraid to rinse the off because I don't want to kill any beneficial bacteria that may be present. And also with water changes am I suppose to vacuum the gravel to? I know the waste load is large with oscars but there is no way possible that there can be that much build up in 2 days. Oh and I perform a 50% wc every other day. Any advice on a filter and water changes will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Best filter

Everyone will have a different opinion and what is the best canister filter. From my point of view, I don't think you can get much better than Eheim, but of course you will be paying top prize. Just look at the specifications, go for something that is rated for 100 gallons +, this way you will have plenty of filtration.

When you clean your biological filtration, make sure that you clean it in a bucket of existing tank water, but don't clean it too much, just rinse it enough to get rid of any solid waste that may be clinging on, you don't want to be rinsing out too much because that is where the bacteria live and you don't want to upset their little home too much.

It is important that you clean your gravel on a regular basis because a lot of debris will find its way underneath. Just push the gravel cleaner into the gravel and wait for the water to run clear, it's as easy as that.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Best filter

I am of the minority that is not a big Eheim fan. Not a quality issue, its the prices that turn me off. I recommend an API Filstar canister. The 3 tray xpl is a high quality, quiet, reliable and efficient canister. Holds more media than an Eheim 2217. The Filstar is also easier to service, as it has individual trays holding media. My oldest of this model is 9yrs and still runs perfect. Oscars being among the messiest(likely #1) cichlids in the hobby, you may want to keep an hob on to assist in mechanical filtration. Whatever you decide, make sure you either transfer seeded media to the new canister, or continue running the hob's for a couple months until the canister media gets a viable bacteria colony

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Jamal
  • Jamal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Jamal replied the topic: Re:Best filter

Ok thanks guys and will I have to purchase online or can I go to the closet petsmart or petco because my local library Walmart doesn't sale canister filters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Best filter

You'll probably find a more variety of products online. Just type in the product you are looking for, i.e. aquarium canister filters, and And then the district where you live and I am sure that you will find somewhere fairly close. Alternatively, find a popular online shop in your country, they will ship to you.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds