2 questions here

• StridersR7
  • StridersR7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

StridersR7 created the topic: 2 questions here

Ok, so I'm curious about a few things.. First is my marineland 400 good for 90 gallons. It has 2 of those blue filters with the carbon inside then in front of them is 2 empty plastic containers you open up and drop in carbon... My question on that in my 75 gallon is I've heard unless I miss read that carbon is bad for oscars... Is this true?? Second question.. When I purchase this 120 OR 150 tank what is best canister.. At the Pet stores I see fluval, marineland and API name brand... What throws me off is these canisters go up to like 100 gallons then jump to 400... I'm thinking where is the in between.. The fluval fx6 looked nice and was good for 400 gallons.. Is that a little over kill?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: 2 questions here

The empty plastic containers are best used for bio media like seachem matrix. I would not use the blue pads with the carbon in it unless you are trying to remove medication from the tank. And the carbon is only good for a very short period of time and a money maker for Marineland. I would put the plastic containers in the front and more bio media in the back of it or put blue bonded filter pads for mechanical filtration.

For a 150 g the fx 6 would be good. It is quite big though and can be quite heavy when filled so be sure to watch youtube videos on it to see the size and make sure you have room for it.

API filstars - L are good for up to 175g. You would need 2 of these for the 150g.

• StridersR7
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

StridersR7 replied the topic: 2 questions here

Your talking about not using the blue pads that are black on the other side? Wouldn't that stop debris from going back in tank by stopping it in that blue mesh?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: 2 questions here

A lot of filters that you buy nowadays come with carbon already in the filter, alongside biological and mechanical filtration. However, carbon is only used to remove impurities from the water, i.e. medication that is no longer needed. So you don't need to keep it in your filtration all the time because it doesn't actually do anything. So what you could do is replace this media with some normal mechanical or biological filtration.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: 2 questions here

carbon or activated carbon is basically made for filtration of drinking water...
so it has a purpose that requires replacement every end of its useful life... normally based on the volume of water that had passed through them... however, it is not practical to use it in the fish tank because you can keep your tank healthy without using it... so why use something that you can live without... it is a waste of money...

• StridersR7
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

StridersR7 replied the topic: 2 questions here

Good point about the carbon. So then would just have 4 of the blue filters in my tank to trap impurities be good? Instead of having what it came with?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: 2 questions here

StridersR7 wrote: Good point about the carbon. So then would just have 4 of the blue filters in my tank to trap impurities be good? Instead of having what it came with?

you can either use it and dispose later or keep it for future use just in case...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds