Filter cleaning

• Vinny
  • Vinny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8

Vinny created the topic: Filter cleaning

I'm used to cleaning my filters every month on past tanks. I have a 125 with a fx6 and fluval 306. I do water changes weekly at times biweekly. Water parameters are all good. Stocked with 2 baby Os a featherfin 3 redhooks about 4 5 inches and a clown loach I still can't catch. My question is do I have to do the filters monthly or can it be big monthly? Last month the filters where relatively clean. Am I wasting time doing this monthly?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Filter cleaning

You have to get a handle on how long the filters can go between cleanings. As fish grow and waste and bio load increase, timeframe will shorten. If filters are in good shape after a month, give them 2 months. Your fish are still small, so the FX should be ok for 4-5 months. Water changes go a long way to extending filter cleanings. Your 125 will be overstocked with anything more than 2 Oscars in only a few months. Bi weekly water change is insufficient already. 4-5 day changes with thorough substrate vac each time will keep your filters in better standing and your fish at less risk of problems.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Filter cleaning

It depends on how much waste is inside. If you have lots of brown detrius waste, then it is time for a filter cleaning. If the filter was relatively clean the last time, then extend the time for the next cleaning, like 2 months, and so on. If the water flow is less than what it should be, then you have waited too long. If it takes you more than 10 minutes to rinse out each basket and the media inside it then you have waited too long to service the canister. so the amount of time to clean the canister shouldn't be longer than 10 minutes for each basket, and 10 minutes to clean the impeller well and casing. Be sure to lubricate the o-rings each time in 100% silicone grease.

I would space out the cleaning of the canisters to different months.

• Vinny
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Vinny replied the topic: Re:Filter cleaning

I know the redhooks are going to have to go and I've been trying to get rid of the clown loach for months but can't catch it. I was doing a filter 1 week then the other the next but I guess I can spread it out a bit more from each other. I've never thought of lubricating the O Rings I guess a regular hardware store for the silicone grease? And as far as time goes I guess I've only waited to long once or twice in my life cause it never takes me that long to clean everything out when I service the canisters only the 1 time and I knew it was neglected and was also the only time I ever had a shortage on the water flow.. I try to do water changes twice a week but it's complicated with my job due to working 630am to as late as 1030 pm monday through Fri and my wife's tied down with the kids. When I do do them I usually do a solid change on Sunday days vacuuming every inch then when I can during the week I don't vacuum I honestly just syphon the water out my side window while I fill buckets.. Usually cuts the time down to 15 20 min and makes it more doable for a 2nd change mid week.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Filter cleaning

How much water are you changing when you do water changes? I have a 125 and had 2 oscars in it for awhile and needed to do 2 50-75% water changes a week to keep the water good. I now have one Oscar and a small male HRP in the tank and I can go a week or so now between water changes if I need too. Still prefer twice a week if I can. When I do a water change, I change around 120% or so using a fill and drain method at the same time. I have an Aquaclear 110 and an FX5 for filtration on the tank. I clean the 110 every 4-5 months and the FX5 just had its first cleaning in a year and a half (18 months). I don't have any solid debris going into the filters which makes this possible. Lots of water changes and keep debris out of your filters. The filters are for cycling water through and processing the harmful chemicals. Once you start getting debris in there you might as well just have it sitting all over the bottom of the tank. I didn't have any significant reduction in water flow at the time cleaning either. I don't like disturbing the filters too much, although the beneficial bacteria is tougher than most people realize and will remain in tact after a good cleaning if done right. I also find once the filters start to get a bit of mulm built back up in them they start to polish the water a lot better, making it look so clear in the tank it doesn't even appear to have water in it, and the fish look like they're floating on air. Like I said I don't recommend this for everybody. You have to keep only water going through the filters and watch water parameters. If you get debris in the filter your tank will start to produce more nitrates than your water changes will be able to keep up with when your filter turns into a nitrate factory.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Vinny
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I do about 50%.. I don't have a python or anything fancy just a good old syphon and 8 5 gallon buckets.. Luckily my tank is in my dining room with a wonderful window by my driveway so I just let it syphon out the window while I start filling buckets. Cut down on time drastically now it only takes time when I do the solid vacuum of the bottom which is actually in about 10 min.. My water parameters are always 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 6.8 pH and nitrate under 20. I had a nitrate problem for a little bit but I think it was either the test expired, lack of a 2 min shake of bottle 2 I was only doing about a min of a weak shake and the fact that the flow on my filter was set too low. My nitrates have fallen right back in line for I'd say atleast 3 weeks now.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Filter cleaning

A hardware store should have food grade 100% silicone grease. You should take the oRings off, and apply it on the whole o oring. I would get spare oRings as well.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Re:Filter cleaning

you can always observed the water flow from the filter...
once there is a slight slow down of the water flow,
then it is time to do the cleaning!

• Vinny
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Now here's a question I've had obviously the filters have the controls for the flow. Should they be all the way opened? I keep them at a out half way maybe slightly above cause I heard the Os don't like heavy water flow.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Re:Filter cleaning

open them up all the way restricting the flow is just reducing your filters effective it won't hurt your oscar at all

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
[IMG]

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds