Sump filter set-up..What would you do? New aquarium! Need advice

• wiksta3
  • wiksta3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

wiksta3 created the topic: Sump filter set-up..What would you do? New aquarium! Need advice

So i am upgrading to a drilled tank finally for my oscar! It is 180 gallon with a built in overflow in the middle. It has 2 intake lines to the sump filter. The sump has mechanical filtration that then drips into bio balls in the left chamber. The right chamber has bio media and the pump. This is how it was set up. I want to make some changes but i need your advice!! What would you do? I'm thinking of expanding the sump and adding another tank next to it. There is a pvc pipe on the bottom of the side that could connect the two. The research im doing shows sumps ideally with a refugium. Can i accomplish this? It has an 800gph pump. I will have a mature oscar, 2 large plecos and 9 large silver dollars. I plan to get 1-2 more oscars down the road. I will put my heater in the sump.

What would you do? Thanks! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Sump filter set-up..What would you do? New aquarium! Need advice

You might need another 800gph pump, considering that the height of the return won't necessarily give you 800gph. Everything else seems okay. keep in mind that adding 2 more oscars will significantly tax the bioload
The following user(s) said Thank You: wiksta3

• wiksta3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

wiksta3 replied the topic: Sump filter set-up..What would you do? New aquarium! Need advice

Another pump? The previous owner said the tank had a pretty strong current... It looks bigger that 800 gph to me but i don't have a lot of experience with drilled set-ups. There are no markings on the pump, i may just test it myself and see. Would it be worth it to expand the sump and add another chamber or 2 by the pvc connection in the bottom of the sump? Or would that not work right?

The bio balls mostly fill a 5 gallon bucket and the other bio media is a lot of sponges in the chamber with the return pump. I want to place my heater in the sump and its a little crowded the way it was set up. I would like to add 2 Oscars in the future so expanding the sump might be the way to go. I could settle on 1.

Rocksor replied the topic: Sump filter set-up..What would you do? New aquarium! Need advice

If you put another sump, the water will descend to the lowest point before filling up the next sump, which means more of your bio-balls will be underwater than without the extra sump. Bio-balls are designed to have water flowing over it, thereby, maximizing the oxygen delivered to the bacteria. With the bio-balls submerged, is is less effective, and you would have to use more ceramic media in it's place. If you decide to still connect another sump, then you need baffles to prevent most of the water from flowing back into the first sump. The first baffle would have to start from the bottom of the second sump and go up about 75% of the way. I would then add a sump pump into this first chamber (much smaller than your older sump pump), that would push the water above the first baffle and into the next chamber. A vinyl tubing on the outlet plus a control valve would help control the flow. If that sounds a bit complicated, you can always just get a large canister filter to supplement the sump that you have.

The pvc on the bottom is really designed for out of water sump pumps or heater with a compression fitting. See link about the heater : www.beananimal.com/articles/aquarium-heaters-what-you-need-to-know!.aspx

• wiksta3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

wiksta3 replied the topic: Re:Sump filter set-up..What would you do? New aquarium! Need advice

Thanks for the reply. Seems a little complicated to add to the sump. With the currect set up do you think it's enough filtration? Do you suggest any changes or tweaks? I would prefer to not use any canisters or hob if possible. I am going to hard plumb it once i settle on a design.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Sump filter set-up..What would you do? New aquarium! Need advice

For an additional 1-2 oscars, it may not be enough. Underneath the grate you could add more ceramic bio-media like Seachem matrix placed in bio-media bags. You could add a pre-filter sponge for what looks like Danner Supreme magnetic pump

• wiksta3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

wiksta3 replied the topic: Re:Sump filter set-up..What would you do? New aquarium! Need advice

I can just buy a sponge to go over the intake for the pump? Thanks for the brand of pump. I'm going to research it later. The guy told me 800 gph and he said the tank had a very strong currect so maybe it's more than 800 gph. I can add a canister but in really trying to get away from that lol.

• wiksta3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Rocksor wrote: If you put another sump, the water will descend to the lowest point before filling up the next sump, which means more of your bio-balls will be underwater than without the extra sump. Bio-balls are designed to have water flowing over it, thereby, maximizing the oxygen delivered to the bacteria. With the bio-balls submerged, is is less effective, and you would have to use more ceramic media in it's place. If you decide to still connect another sump, then you need baffles to prevent most of the water from flowing back into the first sump. The first baffle would have to start from the bottom of the second sump and go up about 75% of the way. I would then add a sump pump into this first chamber (much smaller than your older sump pump), that would push the water above the first baffle and into the next chamber. A vinyl tubing on the outlet plus a control valve would help control the flow. If that sounds a bit complicated, you can always just get a large canister filter to supplement the sump that you have.

The pvc on the bottom is really designed for out of water sump pumps or heater with a compression fitting. See link about the heater : www.beananimal.com/articles/aquarium-heaters-what-you-need-to-know!.aspx

I have a heater with external controller. Does the fitting work for that type also? Thinking about making a cover for the heater with pvc pipe and a ton of holes for water flow. Expecially since i will most likey have bio media in the same chamber.

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Sump filter set-up..What would you do? New aquarium! Need advice

Is it the titanium based one? I don't think it will work since the "head" of the titanium is rather short compared to normal heaters, which may melt part of the compression fitting.

• wiksta3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

wiksta3 replied the topic: Re:Re:Sump filter set-up..What would you do? New aquarium! Need advice

Rocksor wrote: Is it the titanium based one? I don't think it will work since the "head" of the titanium is rather short compared to normal heaters, which may melt part of the compression fitting.

Yes i belive titanium. The are rubber pads on either side of the heater so it can rest. Prob around an inch out inch and a half long. Can i just protect it by using a few inch wide pvc pipe and putting the heater inside. Preferably try to center it in the tube somehow. And drill a ton of holes for water flow. The heater will be in the same chamber as bio media and sponges so i need some way to protect them.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds