UV sterilizer - worth it?

• THQ
  • THQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

THQ created the topic: UV sterilizer - worth it?

Hi, I'm setting up a 165G (6x2x2) with 2 canisters (likely 2 eheim 2217s or 2 aquael unimax 700s).

Stocking will be 1 oscar, 1 severum, 1 heckelii and another large SA cichlid I haven't decided on.

No/minimal plants limited to driftwood plants.

Anyone have any experience with UV sterilizers and whether they are worth it for freshwater tanks?
I know they are meant to kill waterborne pathogens but has anyone actually experienced less fish disease by putting one in?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: UV sterilizer - worth it?

I think UV sterilisers are more commonly used on marine aquariums, I really don't know of anyone who uses them are a freshwater aquarium. My opinion would be don't bother, you're wasting your money

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: UV sterilizer - worth it?

one of my client whom i work before with his pond uses UV Light sterilizer... with the intention of controlling the green algae... eventually, the UV becomes clogged and render to be useless... then i decided to remove the UV Light, and add more biofilter... the water becames clearer thereafter...

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: UV sterilizer - worth it?

In order to kill pathogens, the UV sterilizer needs to have it's own pump. Typically, the pump works at a pretty low turn over rate.

Clean water (nitrates below 20ppm and gravel vacuum at least twice a week) will keep out disease more than 75% of the time. Disease is generally brought on from stress or addition of new fish to the tank.

• THQ
  • THQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

THQ replied the topic: UV sterilizer - worth it?

Rocksor wrote: In order to kill pathogens, the UV sterilizer needs to have it's own pump. Typically, the pump works at a pretty low turn over rate.

After doing a bit more investigating, I think this is the key. I found this chart on flow rate and wattage power of UV lamp required to kill pathogens:

www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=435

This makes sense. Basically all of the inbuilt weak UV sterilizers in canisters are useless as the wattage vs GPH is way too low to kill anything. Standalone UV sterilizers with their own slow pump will kill things, but from what I have read, this is mainly useful for outdoor ponds and maybe marine. If there's an algal bloom in an indoor freshwater aquarium, something is out of balance.

I think for me, for a minimally planted/low light tank, it won't be necessary.

Thanks for advice.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds