FX6 best large quiet canister filter for oscar tank? Opinions?

• THQ
  • THQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

THQ created the topic: FX6 best large quiet canister filter for oscar tank? Opinions?

Firstly, can I say I searched FX6 but did not get any hits, which I found extremely surprising. Is there something wrong with the search function?
I am trying to find a canister for my 165G 6x2x2 oscar tank, which will be approx 80% stocked with SA cichlids and some catfish.

I want to stay away from the large Eheims, because they are too noisy. My LFS uses the Pro3 or Classic 1500XL versions on their display tanks and every single one is noisy. The din would be unbearable to me as the tank is in my study. I have also heard 2217s and they are also noisier than I would like.

The FX6 I believe is very quiet, and has a cool water change feature where you just attach a hose to it and it will pump out your tank water. Saves me from buying a separate water pump. The other big plus is that it has a LOT of mechanical filtration, with 6 mechanical sponges, 2 for each media basket. Also has a cool function where it automatically stops the filter every 12 hours or so to let bubbles to escape. FX6 comes with media, but I am not sure how good it is? Should you replace it? Amazon has 4.5/5 rating for it. I have heard dodgy issues with Fluval leaking before, but I believe that was their old canisters like the FX5. FX6 is meant to have fixed all the issues I believe.

The other alternatives available to me would be Aquael Unimax 700 or Aqua One Nautilus 2700, which are half the price (and I could get 2 of them) but very few people have first hand experience with them. I want to stick with a reputable company with easily found replaceable parts.

What are people's opinions? Cost is not a big issue, as I am happy to invest in a good quality product to me that lasts longer, is more reliable and cuts down on maintenance time. Thanks.

If I did get the FX6 I will probably also get a HOB (or two) for backup and supplemental mechanical filtration as they are easily cleaned. Due to tank bracing, the biggest I can fit is 1-2 Aquaclear 70s.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: FX6 best large quiet canister filter for oscar tank? Opinions?

I have several FX5's and one FX6. They are the same filter, excluding the 12hr purge on the 6, versus the 24hr on the 5. They do not come with bio media, just the wrap around sponges and a couple finer ones that can fit in trays. I dont use the small ones. The 3 trays will hold around 4 kilos of ceramics. They are very quiet, I have one running on a bedroom tank, its barely audible.You sure you cant fit an AC110? My 6x2x2 tanks can fit 3, and thats with 2 top tank braces. My oldest FX5 is going on 7-8yrs, runs as well as it did on day 1. No problems with any of them. They are big, heavy when full, but move a lot of water. I highly recommend.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 2

bland replied the topic: FX6 best large quiet canister filter for oscar tank? Opinions?

I'm happy with my fx6, but it's not whisper quiet. It has a hum to it, but it's not noisy either.

It does come with bio rings, but you will need more. As large as the canister is, it really doesn't hold much bio media compared to other canisters, but the sponges work as bio media also.

I would buy another if I had to.

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:FX6 best large quiet canister filter for oscar tank? Opinions?

I love my fx6 and I do agree something is wrong with search function

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds