Concern with being over filtered.

• bland
  • bland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

bland created the topic: Concern with being over filtered.

This is just a thought I have and you’ll have to bear with me.

For good bacteria they say it lives in the substrate, the filters, and the sponges. Just about everywhere. For my 125g tank I think I am very well filtered. I have 2 hydro 5 sponges on a air pump, a fluval fx6 and a susun 304b. Both canisters are filled to the rim with bio media.

My concern is, in a tank they say it will only grow as much bacteria as needed to support the load. With my 2 large canisters and 2 sponge filters I imagine its spread lightly across all of it. My 2 sponge filters are for a backup in case there is an extended power outage. I’m concerned losing both canisters would cause an ammonia spike since my sponges will not be used to the heavy bio load.

If I were running only one canister, in theory, wouldn’t my sponges be capable of handling a heavier bio load, and losing a single canister would cause less of a spike rather than lose both of them.

The fx6 on its own should be capable of keeping the tank clean on its own.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Concern with being over filtered.

Never really thought of it that way, but you have a valid point. If you have four filters on an aquarium exactly how much nitrifying bacteria does each filter house? Unless you are able to scrutinise the media under a microscope then it's probably impossible to answer that question. But like you have stated, if you have a couple of filters which sees one housing the majority of nitrifying bacteria and it fails, there may not be enough bacteria in the other filter to cope with a bio load, therefore you would see ammonia building up in the tank.

A lot of people filtrate their aquarium using two or three small filters. Obviously if one filter fails then you could be under filtered. You are much better off either using one large filter, or to slightly smaller filters, but making sure that if one of them fails you have a decent filter that will do the job on its own. That is always what I did when I had my 125 gallon tank. I used a couple of eheim canisters that were capable of filtering 130 gallons on their own.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Concern with being over filtered.

You are not over filtered. Keep in mind that the FX with its high flow rate is not the greatest bio filter anyways. This is where the smaller canisters excel for bio, with actual gph of 250-300. Tank stock also plays a role, and I forget exactly what you have in the tank?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Concern with being over filtered.

first of all, there is no such over filtered tanked, all you can have is over rated power consumed LOL!. in my case, having a DIY filter in all of my tanks, i just keep an standby powerhead pump so that whenever one bogged down, i can readily replace it.

• bland
  • bland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

bland replied the topic: Concern with being over filtered.

I will eventually have 1 oscar and 2 severums in the tank. Right now it's mostly all babies.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds