New lighting

• Vinny
  • Vinny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8

Vinny created the topic: New lighting

So coming soon is a new led light. Most 72 inch leds are a few hundred dollars but I found this one for 99 with not so bad reviews. Hopefully my review will be positive as well. By next weekend hopefully I know the truth. My t5s keep acting up and now my tank is half dark. I have had my light from my 48 on the big tank for 6 months so it's now time for a upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: New lighting

basically, lighting is for the keeper's pleasure, not for the fish...
so if the new lighting fixture makes you happy, so be it...
specially that it will now cut the cost of power consumption....

• Vinny
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Vinny replied the topic: Re:New lighting

Yeah I know my concern is it actually working, lasting some time and decent lighting. From what I read with this light very minimal algae growth too

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: Re:New lighting

I used to have one of those lights. Worked great for me when I owned it. My only complaint was that I couldn't replace the bulbs in it. When the light goes bad, you have buy a completely new one to replace it.

• Vinny
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

That's understandable with led but how long does it take is the question. If it last 1 or 2 years I can deal with it. Any less will be bad any longer is a home run. Some of the reviews I read have some people with the light for 2+ years no issue

• Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: New lighting

I think any LED lighting is a step up from flourescents. I have never tried the one you just got Vinny so I can't comment on it. I own an Elive LED Track light. You buy "pods" that you click into the rail to customize to your personal tastes. If a pod ever wears out you can just buy a replacement. Loving it so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meno460

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: New lighting

LED's tend to last longer than fluorescent lighting and traditional lighting for tanks. I've have mine for over 3 years now and each one is still burning just as bright as they were when I bought it brand new.

I wasn't trying to make it sound like those light were bad. They are actually a pretty nice set of lights. If one did burn out, however, you needed to replace the entire unit. I ended up buying a different set up for my 55 gallon tank. I kept the other light for my 40 gallon long. I wanted the option to replace the bulbs without having to replace the entire thing.

• Vinny
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I know what you meant didn't make it sound bad at all. How much was the other set up that u could replace

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: Re:New lighting

I bought mine at Pet Smart. It's made by Aqueon. I has three LED "tubes" that are replaceable, and they sell all sort of color spectrums for what your tank has stocked. I currently just have standard white lights, but they do offer red spectrum lights for color enhancing on fish, blue spectrum lights for coral reef aquariums, and I think there is another color.

You can also buy this light on Amazon as well. For a 48" light it's right about 130 bucks. Comes with one light tube with it. It can hold up to three total. This lights tends to go on sale more often on Amazon.com

• Vinny
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Lol that's why I never noticed it. Sounds amazing but I can't dump 300 on lighting. Worst case I'll have no choice but I'll try the cheap one now

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds