canister filter is not collecting the debris plz help..

• Harish9505
  • Harish9505's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Harish9505 created the topic: canister filter is not collecting the debris plz help..

hi mates,
As i am not much familiar with the canister filters , i bought sunsun hw-302 to my 55 gallon aquarium and i dont have any internal filter now except canister filter,do canister filters remove debris..??

i noticed from past 2 days that the waste is not cleaned and there are no gravels in the tank because to check how the canister works by removing the debris, can you pple plz help me out...
in the tank ,
oscar 1
green terror 1
parrots 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: canister filter is not collecting the debris plz help..

Yes, canister filters are designed to remove the majority of debris. However, the suction is not strong enough to pull debris from all parts of the tank. So for instance you may have debris collecting in one corner, if your pipework is located at the opposite side of the aquarium then it simply won't have the suction power to suck out the debris. Some people put in small powerheads that circulate water and help dislodge debris and push it towards the filter pipes. Alternatively, you will just have to use a gravel back to remove any debris that the filters aren't removing.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meno460

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: canister filter is not collecting the debris plz help..

Penn means to say gravel vacuum... LOL! auto correct mode...
and i concur with him..

• Harish9505
  • Harish9505's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Harish9505 replied the topic: canister filter is not collecting the debris plz help..

ty OFL, bt the problem is there is no suction power at all, i am attaching the images which i have setup the canister filter and is tat the ri8 way to setup and help me how to get removed debris by the canister??

imageshack.com/a/img905/5218/Detm7s.jpg [/img]

imageshack.com/a/img903/6992/1WInvf.jpg

and my tank measurements are
Length 38 1/2 inch
Width 16inch
Height 25inch

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: canister filter is not collecting the debris plz help..

The hoses length should be a diagonal line straight to the canister and not bend like that. The less hose there is the less overhead there will be in the output of the canister. Reduce the length of your hoses by cutting them.

When was the last time you cleaned your canister? It could be filled with debris already.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: canister filter is not collecting the debris plz help..

Why do you want debris in the canister? Only thing that should be going through the filter is water and particulate that you can't see that is suspended in the water column. If the debris is in the canister you might as well leave it on the bottom of the tank to rot away, only difference is you cant see it in the canister. Take all steps necessary to keep it OUT of the canister and vac debris off the tank bottom regularly. Your fish and water quality will thank you for it.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:canister filter is not collecting the debris plz help..

That is pretty true. Debris in the canister would suck. I would imagine if all your debris collected in the canister it would make your filter a nitrate heaven. Vacuuming out the debris keeps good water quality. You would be doing way too frequent filter cleanings the other way.. "I assume"

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds