How much should I Water Change

• jsdphilly
  • jsdphilly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

jsdphilly created the topic: How much should I Water Change

I am wondering how much I will need to water change with a 75 gallon tank and 1 oscar. I have 2 external filters that turn my water over 4 times / hour (this is the actual tested rate, not the packaging gph).

I keep hearing different numbers. I currently have a common plecco in there with the oscar, although I gotta imagine I will eventually have to give him up as he just poops so much! Currently they are both around 4 inches.

I just want to know, is 25% 2x/week enough? Is 25% twice a week the same thing as 50% once?

I am trying to figure out the best way for me to do this long term. I have a 19 gallon reservoir with a pump under my tank, I am wondering if I need to add a second as well. Ideally, once or twice a week I will run the process...it all depends on how much I really need to change and how often.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: How much should I Water Change

The easiest way to determine a water change schedule and how much water to change is easily done by using a liquid water test kit. This will tell you how many ppm your nitrate levels are (assuming the tank is cycled). Typically once the water hit between 30ppm and 40ppm you want to do a water change. Then after you change the water, wait an hour and test again. If you find that only doing a 25 percent water change gets the ppm number back under 20ppm, then you can continue to do so. If it does not, then do another 25 percent water change. If the number is now below 20ppm, you now know that a 50 percent water chance is necessary to get the job done in one shot! Then moniter the water chemistry to see how many times you should do it in a week. Doing it with this method you'll get a much better understanding of a schedule to keep, as well as a better knowledge of what is happening in your tank!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: How much should I Water Change

I concur with the above, just monitor your nitrate levels and when they get to a level that needs changing you can look at the calendar and see when you lasted a water change. However, once your Oscar gets to adult size only needs feeding once a day. The more you feed the more waste will produce and the quicker the nitrate levels will build up.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• jsdphilly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

jsdphilly replied the topic: How much should I Water Change

Hmm...this is actually so helpful. Monitor for a week or two and use that to determine!

So helpful and obvious, I am not sure why I didn't think of it my self!

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: How much should I Water Change

One large volume change is better than 2 of equal to the one. Strive for an average nitrate level of under 20. While nitrate monitoring is a good general water change gauge, there are other elements in the water that need removing. A thorough substrate vac with each change is also important. You cant do too much, there is only benefit to keeping water as clean as possible. All my tanks get a minimum 75% every 4-5 days, sometimes more often depending on if I have the time. Oscar will live and survive in iffy water, but health will deteriorate around his half life span, 5-6yrs.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: How much should I Water Change

if you are very keen observer, you can use the fish as your gauge... whenever the fish start breathing fast, do large water change immediately... when water is perfect... you can see your fish as not breathing at all...

• jsdphilly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

jsdphilly replied the topic: How much should I Water Change

Thats great to know, I rarely if ever see the fish appear to be breathing.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds