water changes

• TrevorB206
  • TrevorB206's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

TrevorB206 created the topic: water changes

Hello everyone. I am a new member here and recently decided to get an oscar cichlid. I used to have one a while back but it has been a while. I have my tank cycling and I am just waiting for a few more items. I am looking for some advice and information on water changes, If it matters I will have an oscar in a 150 gallon aquarium alone due to the awkward dimensions of this aquarium. I returned the original fluval 406 I purchased in favor of two Eheim 2217 Filters as I wanted to have as much filtration as possible. I am trying to give this oscar the best and most healthy home I can pretty much, so I have a nice little custom backyard water change setup that will make it nice and convenient for myself. Now to my question I want to create the best environment possible and try to keep him as healthy as possible. So my question is how much water, and how often can I safely do water changes? while not stressing, or causing any problems for the fish? Can I do say two 50% water changes a week? or will this cause a problem and should I do less? Thank you for all your help in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: water changes

Yeah, we get asked this question quite a lot and there isn't really a conclusive answer because a lot depends on your situation. For instance, if you are heavily stocked then the chances are you will be doing larger and more frequent water changes. However, if your tank isn't too overloaded the nitrate levels build up anywhere near as quickly. The best thing to do is when the tank is all up and running, do a water change and get your nitrate below 20 ppm. Then keep an eye on my trade levels throughout the week and when they reach about 30 ppm it's time to do a water change. You may find that you only need to do one every seven days, it all depends on how many fish you have got and what your feeding regime is.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: water changes

On my big tank (10x2x2) I used to do 25% twice a week because big fish are messy eaters and you end up with bits of food / prawn ext floating around in your tank.

you need to find what works for you

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: water changes

Just know that you cant do too much. Even daily large volume changes will not affect your cycle or the fish in any negative way. It is however very easy to do too little. The more clean water you throw at your Oscar, the better he will do.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• TrevorB206
  • TrevorB206's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

TrevorB206 replied the topic: water changes

Okay alright, good thanks for the information everybody. when it comes to testing and finding my right balance I will be picking up a test kit today and I will start experimenting. I guess the thing is with my setup I have decided to only keep one oscar so I am hoping that a year from now I will have a big healthy oscar. I don't have control over everything that happens... but one thing I do have control over is the conditions. I have a pretty nice little water change setup that doesn't require much work from me. So if I can do two 25%. or two 50% water changes a week even and that creates a better environment for the fish and won't harm him in any way that is what I am looking to do. I wanted to make sure I had filtration just for the sake of if one ever went out or anything. But overall I want to be on a schedule that well exceeds the minimum and overall is best for the fish.

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:water changes

The one thing I learned on this site is 1 big water change is way better than multiple smaller water changes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re:water changes

Vinny wrote: The one thing I learned on this site is 1 big water change is way better than multiple smaller water changes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

yes, i agree on this... but if you have a garden, a daily small water change to use in watering the plants will give you healthy fish and a blooming plants...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds