Deciding on a second filter

• TrevorB206
  • TrevorB206's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

TrevorB206 created the topic: Deciding on a second filter

Hello everyone I am currently in the process of fish less cycling a new 75 Gallon Aquarium that I plan to use as a home for a single Oscar cichlid in it and nothing else. I have spent a lot on this hobby alReady getting my 150 and 75 up so I am looking for something that is somewhat on a budget. But if need be I i will buy what is best. I am looking to have the best filtration I can have in this tank and get the most bang for my buck. Currently during the cycle I am using a sunsun 304b canister filter I got for a good price it is for 150 gallon aquariums along with a Marineland penguin 200 HOB filter that I am just using temporarily. I am currently looking at ideas for a second filter and since I have a 396GPH water pump I bought to use for water changes I considered using it to create a custom canister filter myself. I also know someone who has a 596 gallon per hour water pump they said I could have if that is the way I want to go that is. However I have also been looking at the Marineland Emporer 400 HOB filter to use as a second filter and also the aquaclear 110 as well. Another option though if bigger is always better is I have also considered using the filtration I currently am using for a little while longer if this is enough for a month or two and just purchasing another eheim 2217 canister filter to use with the sunsun. My other aquarium currently has two Eheim 2217 filters and I like them more than the sunsun personally. But then again I got the sunsun so cheap I can't complain. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Any advice? What is the best combo for mechanical and bio filtration? Maybe I am better off to build my own second canister even so I can customize it for what I need exactly? Any ideas and advice is highly appreciated. Just looking to get this setup the best I can. Thank you everybody.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Deciding on a second filter

Use the current canister as a primary bio filter. Add an Aquaclear 110 for mechanical. You can use it strictly for mechanical, with the standard sponge and finer pads or floss. Or you can use the standard sponge and as much biomedia as the bag will hold. Then you get a bit of both. While it is true that you cant have too much filtration, you can go unnecessarily overboard. If you canister will hold anything around 3lbs of ceramics, that is enough to cover the needs of 1 Oscar. A little more in an Aquaclear is a bit of added insurance. My filtration for most tanks is a combo of canister and Aquaclears. Simple, trouble free and easy to maintain.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• TrevorB206
  • TrevorB206's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

TrevorB206 replied the topic: Deciding on a second filter

Okay thank you, I have heard good things about the aquaclear 110. I am pretty sure my sunsun filter can easily hold 3lbs. I don't really remember how much bio media you should have in there just as much as possible I am sure? but I know I Currently have like 750g of ceramic rings in my filter along with over a litre of seachem matrix. If that isn't enough I have the rest of a gallon left of it and have some more ceramic rings on the way. but yeah that is a good idea actually, I am not an expert but I'm assuming it would be a good setup if I used an aquaclear and had only mechanical filtration in it and keep the entire thing filled up with mechanical filtration, then on the sunsun I can fill the entire top half with bio media.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Deciding on a second filter

Its pretty simple really. If the tank stays at 0 ammonia and nitrite, and you, via water changes keep nitrate under 20ppm, and the general appearance is clean and fish friendly, then its all good.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds