Sand Substrate and Hang on The Back Filters - Using Fluval C4

• pupfishes
  • pupfishes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

pupfishes created the topic: Sand Substrate and Hang on The Back Filters - Using Fluval C4

Hi All,

My 7" Tiger Oscar is in a 55 Gal. glass tank, 4' long. I've concluded that albeit sand is nice when it comes to "cleaning" out waste as it's easy and otherwise fairly simple to manage and... I personally like the look, I don't think I'm going to keep the sand if my filter impellers continue to get jammed from the sand. My Oscar gets a little nutty sometimes if he sees his reflection in the tank or decides he's going to give his tank-mate Mr Plecostamus the business and it results in sand and debris getting kicked up and into the filter. I've had to clean out the impeller a few times as of late and replace a motor and an impeller magneto because it gets jacked from sand. Seems over kill to use a sump or large canister filter, so I'm thinking I'll go with a small gravel that I can clean without too much hassle and is too large to get into the filter intake tubes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Sand Substrate and Hang on The Back Filters - Using Fluval C4

I have used sand for many many years and I've never had any problems. Okay, you will get some inside the filter, but it shouldn't be too much to actually damage the filter, after all these filters are made with the knowledge that Sanders going to be used in an aquarium. The trick is not to put your suction pipes to close to the sand, locate them a few inches above the sand so that you don't get the excessive amount sucked in.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Sand Substrate and Hang on The Back Filters - Using Fluval C4

My preferred substrate is the round river pebbles. Easy to clean, no chance of clogging anything. Your Oscar is getting to the size when a 55g is becoming a little tight. Add a pleco and you have a huge bioload. A bigger tank would be easier to manage and better for both fish. Your Oscar may double in size, depending on species of pleco, could be bigger than Oscar

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• pupfishes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

pupfishes replied the topic: Sand Substrate and Hang on The Back Filters - Using Fluval C4

Thank you for the responses. I did decide to move my pleco back into another tank due to the bio load and having to clean out the waste every other day between the two of them.

I'm going to try and pay more attention to the gravel/ sand vacuum hose and see if I can prevent more sand getting into the impeller.

I am still flirting with the idea though of using a nice smooth round riverbed type gravel.

Suprd71, do you have a link to the specific pebbles you're mentioning?

Cheers,
pf

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Sand Substrate and Hang on The Back Filters - Using Fluval C4

river pebbles are being grade base on their size in mm
here is the sample of the pebbles #5, meaning 5mm size

• pupfishes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

pupfishes replied the topic: Sand Substrate and Hang on The Back Filters - Using Fluval C4

Thanks!

I'm looking at some pebbles at a local masonry yard that are smooth and have a nice riverbed appearance, very similar to the ones that Draco posted. They're called Mexi Pebbles. $14.95 for a 75lb bag. Pretty good price and more than enough for my dog, I mean Oscar. :D

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Sand Substrate and Hang on The Back Filters - Using Fluval C4

Thats a good deal. They are usually a buck a pound retail. Just use enough to cover the tank bottom, you dont want so much as to trap too much waste

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds