New Tank!!!

• Wols
  • Wols's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Wols replied the topic: Re:New Tank!!!

S.S. wrote: Very cool look of the harscape. Sometimes less is more :) the fish will definetly be the center of the tank.

What are de mesures of the filter compartiments?

"TapatalKing"

Thank you S.S. Im trying to maximise swimming space. The compartments are 20 cm by 20 cm each. Here is a photo taken from the side.

It only shows two compartments. Third houses the return pump.

On another note, things didn't go as smooth as i hoped :) . I bought a new heater to replace the couple i had in there. Those i was keeping to use as spares just in case. I bought a titan 600 watt. It has dual heating elements and is controlled by a seperate unit that sits outside the tank. Thought it would be great as its easy to adjust temps and manage in general. After putting it in, adjusting it and all i left it for a while. On coming back i saw steam rising from the compartment it was in. I touched the glass and it was very hot. I measured the temp in there and it was 63 deg celcius!! Lucky i had no fish in there. Needless to say that heater is gone. I swapped it for an eheim 300 watt. Ive set the temparature and connected it to a seperate thermostat that is set a couple of degrees higher. If the heater ever gets stuck on the other thermostat should kick in and turn the power off. Anyway, new heater is running fine at the moment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:New Tank!!!

I'm thinking on a tank in the future with sides like yours for filtration. Its easy to clean and a lot cheaper than a canister.

"TapatalKing"

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Can you make a video showing the inflow and outflow as well as the way the water flows between stages?

"TapatalKing"

• Wols
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Wols replied the topic: Re:New Tank!!!

S.S. wrote: Can you make a video showing the inflow and outflow as well as the way the water flows between stages?

"TapatalKing"

Sure thing! It is definitely cheaper than a good canister filter. It cost me about $550 with the pump, but you can build it for much less with different brands and other types of media. The pump and marine pure were $400.00 on their own. First chamber has 5 matala mats. Not sure if you can see that the first mat sits above the water level. Water trickles through constantly so im hoping it acts as a small type of wet dry. The other 4 are below water level and form my mechanical filtration. They can also act as a form of biological filtration.Underneath i have 6 liters of marine pure. This is my main biological part. Water then moves to second chamber where i have 2 liters of biological media, sitting on top of some black sponge. The sponge goes all the way to the bottom. This is also biological as well as catching anything that may have gotten through the first chamber. Return pump sits in the third chamber. I have used leftover matting to sit the pump on, as well as putting some behind it. This makes it much quieter and im also hoping that more bacteria can grow on them. The pump is just above the lowest setting, so at the moment is turning over between 2500 and 3000 liters per hour. Maximum setting is 5000 liters. The wall of the filter compartment is built slightly lower than the top of the tank. If the pump stops or something happens the water will stay inside the tank as you can only fill it to a certain level, meaning no flooding. Sorry about the quality of the video as i only have a mobile phone to shoot with and upload.

vid1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/SlothWols/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.15B93B30-FACA-4315-A3E7-7700A27E147E_zpswqryeasy.mp4

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Thanks for your excelent description. I cant see the video very well now on mobile Phone but ill see it later.

"TapatalKing"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wols

• Wols
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Wols replied the topic: New Tank!!!

Just a quick update. Tank is cycling nicely. Just checked water parameters and so far have the following

Ammonia- down to 1.0 ppm
Nitirite- now showing 1.0 ppm
PH- 8.0
Nitrate- haven't tested yet

I have temps at 30c at the moment. The wait continues....... :)

• Thank you received: 0

andersons8734 replied the topic: New Tank!!!

how do you do an ammonia test i have pH strips but im new to all this trying to figure everything out...

• Wols
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

andersons8734 wrote: how do you do an ammonia test i have pH strips but im new to all this trying to figure everything out...

Hi andersons8734. Firstly, welcome. I'm using the API Master freshwater test kit. A lot of people on this forum use and recommend it. After using it I can see why. With it you will be able to test for ammonia, nitrite, low and high range PH and also nitrates. Beauty of it is it's very simple to use and is more accurate than the strips. All instructions are included and very straightforward. Well worth getting.

• Thank you received: 0

andersons8734 replied the topic: New Tank!!!

thanks. i am going to pet store today so i will look for the kit. i have one more question. i got an oscar and also had a black convict but the convict is a total bully chasing my o around so bad the o had no choice but to sit in the top corner of the tank. well last night he apparently got alot more aggressive. now the oscars fins are all nipped up. is there anything i can do to aid in the healing?

• Wols
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

andersons8734 wrote: thanks. i am going to pet store today so i will look for the kit. i have one more question. i got an oscar and also had a black convict but the convict is a total bully chasing my o around so bad the o had no choice but to sit in the top corner of the tank. well last night he apparently got alot more aggressive. now the oscars fins are all nipped up. is there anything i can do to aid in the healing?

After reading your other thread, I would definitely go with the advice given. Ive kept plenty of other fish but this will be my first oscar. Everthing i did and bought was based off recommendations on this forum. If you haven't done so already then you need to remove the convict straight away. Keep in mind that most cichlids are territorial and will need room to establish territories, which they will then defend.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds