Oscar tank size question

• jenmt16
  • jenmt16's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

jenmt16 created the topic: Oscar tank size question

I have a question about my oscars. I was never planning on getting an oscar, my fiancee works at a group home where they have kept an oscar in a 10 gallon for well over a year with a black skirt tetra, a blue glowlight tetra and a dojo loach. They told him that if he doesn't take the fish they will be flushed so knowing I love fish he asked if I wanted them. I have a small apartment with a 75 g community tank but didn't want the oscar to die so took him in and put him in a 40 gallon with a emperor 400 filter and heater. I rehomed the loach and put the two tetras in my community tank and the oscar in the 40. You can tell he is stunted and is at the most 4 inches, if that. The water from the 10 gallon was almost black, I don't know how he survived. Anyways, for over a week he just hid and wouldn't eat so I did something that probably was not the smartest thing, I bought a lil 2 inch baby from petsmart and almost immediately he changed. He started swimming around and started eating and the little one follows him everywhere. They remind me of whales swimming together. The plan is to upgrade them to at least a 90 gallon in the next month or 2, my question is.....if the stunted Oscar never grows and the baby grows to normal size would a 90 be big enough? I've been doing 50% water changes every other day to try to keep their water clean as I know a 40 gallon is not ideal for them. any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar tank size question

Hello and welcome to OFL. Good of you to save the Oscar. Yes it is stunted, and will not live a full life. I am surprised it survived the transition. Keeping his water clean as you have been doing is very good. Adding another probably not going to work so well. I think territorial aggression will take over. 90 would be suitable for the new Oscar as an adult, not both fish even if they manage to get along. If you are set on having a 90g, and 2 Oscars, give the new fish the tank to himself. Keep stunted Oscar chugging along. If by chance it starts growing, perhaps a small upgrade for it as well.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar tank size question

The older oscar could still reach 10" in total length (much smaller than the average 14-16") if the nitrates are kept below 20ppm. You will need a liquid test kit in the long run. However, I wouldn't keep 2 oscars in a 90g since the territorial space of 4 feet is small even for 1 adult oscar. You might see these territorial issues happen as soon as 4 months from now.

• jenmt16
  • jenmt16's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

jenmt16 replied the topic: Oscar tank size question

So I've decided to keep both and just look for a 125. That should give both enough space....what is the average price for a tank that size?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar tank size question

It depends if you buy new or used, glass or acrylic. Used prices will depend on your area.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds