75 gallon tank filtration question

• sammie
  • sammie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

sammie created the topic: 75 gallon tank filtration question

I have a filtration question, if anyone could give me some input that would be much appreciated!!

In my 75 gallon aquarium with one 3" tiger oscar and one 3" red albino oscar would it be better to run another emperor 400 in a addition to the one I am already running or should I run a internal power filter? With the power head I was planning on using a water bottle attached to it filled with bio media and polyester filling, if I go that route.

Right now in my emperor 400 I am running just some regular blue filter pad for mechanical filtration (I am actually using marineland replacement cartridges with the back side cut out so i could dump all the carbon out while still being able to utilize the blue filter portion) and behind it I have the plastic media containers full of fluval bio rings. I also have a bag of seachem purigen that I have had in my filter for about a week, which I don't think has done anything to the noticeable clarity of my water.

My overall objective is to run more biological filtration as well as introducing particulate filtration.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: 75 gallon tank filtration question

I'm afraid that everyone is going to advise you that a 75 gallon tank is big enough for one Oscar only.

Obviously the fish are very small at the moment so you are not strictly speaking overstocked, but that's only because they are babies. In 12 months time you could have two 11 inch Oscars. You need biological filtration in order to remove the toxins. As the fish get bigger you'll find that the filters require cleaning on a more regular basis. So even if you put extra mechanical filtration in, you're still going to have to do go the extra mile to clean the aquarium.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sammie

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: 75 gallon tank filtration question

Ideal filtration for small/medium tanks is an efficient quality canister for bio and a large powerful hob for mechanical. You could have an Eheim 2217 or Filstar XPL, and with that an Aquaclear 110.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• sammie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

sammie replied the topic: 75 gallon tank filtration question

As they begin to grow larger I will make it a one oscar home.

I do see a canister filter in my near future. :)

I do have a concern for my oscars at the moment. For a better part of a week they have been doing an awful lot of hiding and acting frightened all the time. Sometimes they will eat and sometimes they wont. My tiger oscars color is always very pale.

I have been changing the water every other day. ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all very low. My ph is high, but stable.

Idk what else to do. But they just don't act like they did the first couple weeks I had them. Is this normal behavior?

There are lots of issues that can stress baby Oscars. Just to clarify.. you say water parameters are all very low. Thats great for nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite need to be better than very low. As in 0. 2nd day changes should be giving you good water though, provided your source water is good. Do the fish have any structure to get behind, swim around? How much light does the tank get? I strongly suggest you get to the one fish arrangement asap. Even when small, Oscars require big space. They dont get it, there most often becomes an issue.

• sammie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

The tank sits near a large window, not directly in front but relatively close. And I only turn the light on in the evenings when I'm home from work and when I'm home on the weekends.

The tiger oscar has been picking on the albino oscar for about 2 weeks now. Idk if that's his personality or the tank/water conditions making him do that.

I have a 15" piece of Malaysian driftwood and a lava rock with a hole in it that they can swim through. Normally they hide behind the filter intake and in the corner, motionless.

I read that I needed some ammonia present for the tank to cycle. I'm assuming thats wrong now..
I will try to keep them at zero. Even after 50% water changes I still get ammonia and nitrite readings though.

• sammie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Is it best to read the test tubes in direct light or not in direct light? It seems to change color as I move the angle of the tube and card to the light.

Tiger picking on Albino will never end. Thats the most difficult part of trying 2 Oscars. This is another reason, on top of others, why you should have just one. You do need ammonia present, more specifically you need an ammonia source. Thats the fish themselves. They produce ammonia thru their waste and respiration. Showing ammonia and nitrite, even after a w/c says you are not yet cycled, or your bio filter is not of sufficient capacity, or some of both. Reading the cards takes getting used to. You want yellow on ammonia and light blue on nitrite. I would also run a test on your tap water. You may have traces in there as well.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds