Canister filter blowing bubbles.... Oil film on top

• andersons8734
  • andersons8734's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

andersons8734 created the topic: Canister filter blowing bubbles.... Oil film on top

I have a canister filter that is blowing bubbles every few (20) seconds. I also noticed an oily film and small bubbles on the top of the water. I'm thinking maybe add another filter pad in the top chamber but I'm not sure. Each day I've took the net trying to rid the water of this prob. But it keeps coming back. The bubble prob I assume is from when u turn on the pump the air from the hoses gets sucked in. Solutions??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Canister filter blowing bubbles.... Oil film on top

Brand and model of canister?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• andersons8734
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

andersons8734 replied the topic: Canister filter blowing bubbles.... Oil film on top

Rena filstar xp3 I think

I have many of these, both older Rena and newer API Filstar. Certain I can straighten this out for ya. Just a couple more questions please. How old is the filter? There is a small white mfg sticker on the back of it. Spraybar or single funnel style outflow? How is it set up, more specifically, what is in each basket? Approximate height between top of canister and top of tank? And, finally, make sure the hoses are relatively straight, no loops or indirect path to the tank.

• andersons8734
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

andersons8734 replied the topic: Canister filter blowing bubbles.... Oil film on top

The filter I assume is about 5-8 yes old. The filter output is reg round elbow PC... Not sure what u mean by funnel. There are 3 baskets. The bottom has two 30 PPI foam pads, the middle has the same pad on the bottom with some white round balls on pad ( sry threw away that box)(added pads in this chamber because the balls were breaking up) and another pad on top of balls, the top chamber has 2 micro filtration pads. About 3 ft between top of canister and top of tank. Oil residue has not come back since adding extra pads

This filter is designed as a primary biological filter. You are leaning more towards the mechanical side with it. The bottom should have the 2 black pads, a 20 and 30ppi. On top of that should be quality bio media. Fluval biomax and Seachem Matrix are both popular. Middle basket should be as full as possible of same media, nothing else. Top basket should be 3/4 bio media and a single fine pad, or floss. The use of multiple finer pads will precipitate opening the can more often to clean or replace the pads. Herein lies the advantage of a large hob like the Aquaclear 110. It acts as the mechanical filter with its large sponge, that is easily cleaned in a couple of minutes. The can should purge itself of bubbles. If not it is drawing air from somewhere. Check all connections. The oily film is harmless, I see it myself from time to time

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds