Filter Media

• ThatDB
  • ThatDB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

ThatDB created the topic: Filter Media

Alright guys so heres what Im running, a Marineland 80gal filter, an eheim classic 250, and an eheim classic 600. I also have a whisper in tank 20-40, but that one is only there for large particles it has no carbon. I want to hear what you guys have to say about what to replace the canister media with. I was thinking layering scrubies on the bottom, lava rock, then scrubies again on top. What would you guys recomend?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Filter Media

First question is, why are you replacing media? Mechanical sponges are generally good for several years, until they literally fall apart. Most common bio media that I know of is Seachem Matrix or Fluval Biomax. If you do replace media, do small amounts every few weeks or so as to not lose too much bacteria. Quality ceramics lasts years, dont try to scrimp with scrubbies. Do it right the first time.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• ThatDB
  • ThatDB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

ThatDB replied the topic: Filter Media

Well I had been doing some research and apparently lava rock is really good. Also you're supposed to change the media out every so often, or atleast thats what I understood. I guess I'll take your word for it.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds