Water change ?s

• vogey
  • vogey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

vogey created the topic: Water change ?s

Im planning on pretty much doubleing thewater in my 125gal by adding 2 55 gal sealed tanks n maybe a 29 gal underneath plumbed into the canister filter (with some bio media in them) my question is i normally do a 2/3-3/4 water change say 80 gal (untill filter intake almost exposed) by doubleing the water will it make my water changes less effective?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Water change ?s

Yes because the entire volume of 240(ish) will contain the same nitrate level. On the other hand you may be able to go a couple extra days as you have more volume to dilute toxins. Gotta ask ya though.... why so much effort to filter a 125? You can have 50lbs of bio media, but the bacteria colony will only grow as much as it has ammonia to feed on. My tanks in that size range have a single quality canister for bio and a pair of Aquaclear 110 hobs for mechanical. Quiet, reliable, easy to maintain. Will never overflow onto the floor!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• vogey
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

vogey replied the topic: Re:Water change ?s

The idea behind my tanks underneath is mainly to add water to the system they will not be able to over flow as they basically will be 55 gal bulges in the hose running to and from the canister. The plan is to cut a sheet of plexi the size of the tank and silicone it to the top of the tank with a intake hose stoping at the plexi (fitting siliconed into plexi) and the out take hose running to bottom opposite side of tank to fitting siliconed into plexi then cut a 7" hole in plexi and silicone the top half of a large plastic jar to it with lid so i can access the tank or any filtration media i decide to put in there and seal it put easily also to purge the air when getting it started. Ive always been told to cant fiter it to much, if the bacterial colony only gets so big and a portion of the bio media goes essentially unused in there will that be detrimental to the fish? And once they all grow up and the bio load increases id like the bacterial colony to be able to expand and keep up. Im also thinking about puting live plants in one of these tanks with a light above to help with nitrates. is any of this gonna harm and not help my fish?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Water change ?s

No it will not be detrimental to the fish - too much bio-media or plants.

I wouldn't put too much bio-media only because I find that having more water volume for pollution dilution is more important than 500 x times bio-media than you need. Also, you save money. You know when you have enough bio-media if ammonia = nitrites = 0ppm and you never have a mini-cycle or bacterial bloom anytime after a water change.

The best plants to use are floating type plants or golden pothos with the roots submerged

• vogey
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

vogey replied the topic: Re:Water change ?s

I wouldn't be getting any plants that come out of the water, (sealed tank) would the floating plants be ok floating against the top peice of plexi? Also as much as i would like to fill the entire 55 gal with ceramic rings lol it would be incredibly expensive ill probly end up getting 12 bags or so and piling them up over the end of the intake hose with some poly fiber over them and some scrubby pads or shower scrubby ball things over them (read a nice long article about filter media) is it true bio balls wont work submerged?

Looking on ebay for plant seeds i came across these Glossostigma elatinoides seeds anyone familiar with these?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds