Need help plumbing a sump tank!!!

• tjwalley
  • tjwalley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

tjwalley created the topic: Need help plumbing a sump tank!!!

HELP!! I need help plumbing a sump tank. it's a 6' 220 gallon display tank and i'm using a 55 gallon tank for the sump. drain & return pipes are on the back corners of the display tank.
the top of the sump tank is only 2" or so under the plumbing for the drains. i can put 1 end of the sump directly underneath one of the drains, but the other drain (which is ~5' away) will need to be plumbed over either by hose or pvc. is using a 90 deg. pvc elbow under the tank and running straight pvc over to the other side an option? being gravity fed, i'm not sure if the force of the water coming from the display tank is enough to force the water through a 90 deg. elbow or will it just back up into the main tank?

the other thing is my pump is rated for 977 gph when moving the water 10'. it only has a 3/4" outlet and the fitting for the return pipe is 1-1/2". can i use reducers to connect the 2, or will that big of a diameter difference cause problems with the pump?

any other advice for getting this thing plumbed is more than welcome! these are just the ideas i've come up with and wanted to make sure everything would work properly if i did do it this way...this is my first time using a sump so i'm pretty clueless

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Need help plumbing a sump tank!!!

Will try and get someone to help you out. We have a couple of members who are very experienced with sump filters so should hopefully be able to give you good advice.

I had a 350 gallon tank that had a 75 gallon sump filter fitted to. However, I purchased mine with all the pipework so I knew it would work properly. I would hate to give you erroneous advice that caused problems. So if you can be a little patient, I'm sure that one of our members well be able to help.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Need help plumbing a sump tank!!!

Can you take a picture of the sump piping please?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

tjwalley replied the topic: Need help plumbing a sump tank!!!

i will try to get a pic uploaded when i get home from work.

i did some more searching around on youtube and found a video of a setup with the pump in the middle of the sump tank and the drains ran to each end. they used 90 deg. elbows on theirs as well. so i'm hoping everything will run smoothly once i get it filled.

i also posted the question on a couple of facebook pages and got one response about reducing the return lines from the tank to the pump and was told that will work just fine...but it is facebook lol i def. would be more comfortable getting the advice from someone on this site, but i have a buyer waiting on my old tank so i went ahead with the plumbing and am hoping for the best at this point.

i'll keep checking in for responses in the meantime and try to get that pic too. and if i end up getting it running before i hear from anyone i'll comment eith an update.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Need help plumbing a sump tank!!!

waiting for the set up picture... i could ask some of my friends in the arowana community who have good sump set up...

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

2 problems with the picture: 1) i'm not sure how to post a pic from my phone and 2) the space under the tank is so tight that i'm having a hard time even being able to get a pic of the setup.

but a new problem has sprung up...there is a very fast leak, it streams out tbh, where the return pipe goes through the bottom of the tank. there is a threaded sleeve underneath the tank that presses against the bottom glass when tightend, and i'm guessing there's one on the top too that presses down on the glass from the other side....when i was threading the hose connector to the return line underneath the tank one, or both of those sleeves spun loose. i tightend the bottom one back up and poured some water into the overflow area and it pours out through the bottom. i'm assuming silicone caulking wont fix this so tomorrow i have to remove the overflow plastic from the tank and tighten it back up from both top and bottom. luckily the tank is still not filled so it could've been worst. once i get that squared away i'll get back to figuring out how to get a pic of the layout lol

i just keep telling myself the headache will be worth it once it's cycled & stocked with some green terrors swimming around....

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

www.instagram.com/p/BQ8fMABBDki/

i have removed the plastic corner piece from the tank that creates the overflow, as well as the return pipe what was leaking (heading to the store to get supplies to replace it today). the drain pipe is shaped like a candy cane with a syphon hole drilled through the elbow and pipe toward the top and it looks like another little air plug has been put through the top as well. then you can see under the glass where i used the 2 90deg. elbows that runs the pipe into the sump tank. the other side will be exactly the same and my pump will go in the middle of the sump tank. there is approx. 20" of 3/4" i.d. hose coming from the pump to a T, and then 1-1/4" i.d. hose goes off both sides of the T up to the return pipes...those are approx 3' in length.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Need help plumbing a sump tank!!!

is the picture a top-view? and i can see a hole on the elbow?
i would assume you have computed the flow rate capacity of the pipe size
vs the flow rate of the pump with consideration on those elbows.
elbows can have an effect on the flowrate, and may cause overflowing
in your main tank if it does not match the capacity of the pump

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds