silicon cement

• gweisner
  • gweisner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

gweisner created the topic: silicon cement

I'm new at this. Just in process of setting up a 110 gal tank. Can I use standard silicon cement (caulking) to attempt to anchor down plastic plants etc. I think they use this stuff to seal tanks ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:silicon cement

To be on the safe side, I would only use silicone cement that is made for fish tanks. The only time I have ever used silicone was to stick backgrounds to the tank. This was quite a few years ago and I remember being told to wait for it to dry: so I can honestly tell you what sort of silicon I used then: read the instructions very carefully, it should say whether it is suitable for use with fish tanks. But like I said, I would be inclined to buy purposely made silicone cement

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• gweisner
  • gweisner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

gweisner replied the topic: Re:silicon cement

Thanks, what you said makes sense.. I'll be careful.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

probably better to be safe than sorry I would have thought

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:silicon cement

In my honest opinion, I am totally convinced there is nothing diffrent between aquarium grade silicone caulking and the regular clear silicone caulking sold for home or bathroom maintenance. I honestly believe and am personally convinced it's the exact same stuff (100%) except the special packaging that makes you mentally pay more for it. They key is to not only let it dry, but to let it cure and that time can be found on the container. It probably drys to the touch overnight but it may take several days to actually cure.

Don't be fooled. What's next, bottled Aquarium replenishment water? :blink: :silly: :lol:

Ken, 51, NJ-USA (2 Tiger Oscars)
Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

c_etude replied the topic: Re:silicon cement

MY previous oscar could pull out plastic plants no matter how they are put in the tank. And rip them to pieces even at cost of injuring herself. She even tore up an expensive bubble decoration (with moving parts) and plastic...with pieces of flesh...in the tank.

So I'm wondering if the silicon cement would be a good idea...PLUS in time artificial plants fade.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I think people underestimate the power of a large adult Oscar. My Oscars were more than capable of pushing a large piece of slate around the tank. If they can do that, a little plant has not chance.

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:silicon cement

I wouldn't recommend anchoring any plastic plants permanently to the aquarium bottom, regardless of the cement used. You will need to occasionally move or even clean those plants and then you will have a mess. I myself just came to a realization that I have too much gravel in my tanks. I like the gravel I have becaause it has rounder shapes not jagged edges and I do notice that on occasion an Oscar will pick up gravel in its mouth. My gravel is not the smallest however and siphoning it is more of a chore then smaller tiny gravel would be so in stting up my new tank I have decided to reduce the gravel to covering only about 50% of the aqaurium floor with it, leaving many totally bare spots which I noticed my Oscar seem to enjoy anyway. As for plants, I am going to get several sized clay pots and deep root the plants into those pots with the same gravel. That way, I can easily move the potted plant for cleaning and even remove the potted plant should I need to deep clean the plant iteslf. The Clay pots will also serve as structure for the fish to hide behind. I also have planned a terra cotta cave structure which will be a strawberry type planter VAT turned onto its side with some other cave work tubes to surround it. It's going to be great and I'll post a few pics of that in another few weeks as it's on order). My goal is to make maintenance easier and especially to make the siphoning of bottom debris much easier and think how easy it will be to simply grab a flower pot and move it over to completely get to the bottom. My two Oscars are going to love this, although they may not even notice as lately they are like one fish often touching side by side as they swim together. They have paired off and are really too young for it but acting "quite mature" if you know what I mean. In a few weeks they will be relocated to the new tank.

Ken, 51, NJ-USA (2 Tiger Oscars)
Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds