Tank size

• gc2_3
  • gc2_3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

gc2_3 created the topic: Tank size

I have two baby oscars in a ten gallon tank for now what would be the next size that would be cheapest? I do plan on putting a pleco in soon. One last question what are some good tank ornaments for my oscars?
Thanks
Graham

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Tank size

To house two adult Oscars properly so you can keep the water in good condition you should be looking at a tank that is over 100 gallons. It won't take very long for your two Oscars to reach nine or 10 inches. Probably within 18 months to two years they will be the latter, maybe sooner depending on the conditions they are kept in. If you can't get a suitable tank you really do have to think very carefully about what you are going to do. If you try and keep to Oscars in a tank that is not suitable, you are going to cause problems with their health. He will probably end up with stunted Oscars which can have a devastating effect on them. Many people think that Oscars can be kept in small tanks, they just can't, it doesn't work. They produce too much waste which is basically ammonia, a real killer of fish, they need the extra space and water.

As for getting a pleco, don't even think about it, the majority of these can reach huge sizes, in excess of 2 feet. There are ones that don't get very big but then you run the risk of them being eaten. The majority of the ones that are sold cheaply in fish stalls are the ones that get very big. These alone probably need around 100 gallons just for themselves, let alone putting any other fish in with them. They are also dirty filthy creatures that produce extremely large amounts of waste.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from. I really don't like telling people put their tank setup is totally inadequate but I would hate you to end up with a sick deformed fish because I didn't fill you in on what it takes to keep Oscars.

I blame these bloody fish shops. They don't give people enough information about Oscars. They should really be putting a Sign on the front of an Oscar tank telling people that they need extremely large tanks. Unfortunately they don't because they want to sell the fish, they are extremely irresponsible. Not all of them, but a lot of them certainly are.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:Tank size

I've got two baby oscars myself, just about 3-4" long now and am preparing a new 75 Gallon (US) Tank for them that I fear may be too small for the two fish. I would have gone bigger had it not been limited by weight to the floor (second floor).
My point is that I fear this 75 may be marginal at best for these two fish. Certainly a 10 gallon Aquarium is already undersized for even babys of 3-4" long. You really need to start acting upon a suitable replacement tank and soon because the fish are probably already being stressed and the water within quickly polluted. You can go with a mid sized tank for a few months at most, maybe a 40-55 Gallon to get you out of your immediete jam but you need to really start thinking BIG for a tank for those two Oscars. Go with a six foot long 100-125 if you possibly can,

(And oh yea, forget about the Pleco too unless you upgrade to that 100+ Gallon US Aquarium)

Ken, 51, NJ-USA (2 Tiger Oscars)
Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

c_etude replied the topic: Re:Tank size

Pet stores are all for profit. At the cost of great suffering of these magnificant creatures. It really breaks my heart to hear people say they have three oscars in a 55 gallon tank, when ONE oscar in a 55 gallon tank is questionable, possibly marginal but the ones I seen they do get so large one feels sorry for it. I cannot even imagine putting two, much less three, oscars in a 55 gallon tank. It's really very sad. And yes they die of ammonia poisoning or stress.

It's not just the Pet Shops and retail stores themselves. I feel even the large Corporations that make aquatic supplies (pick a name, any name) are wrong too. Have you ever read one of the short instruction pamphlets that come with an aquarium hood etc? These guys instruct adding 2-3 fish per ten gallons of water as an initial stocking and leave it at that. Can you imagine what the aveage beginner fishkeeper would make of that? Overstocked right from the get go, dead fish as week later and all along thinking they followed the directions provided.

Yesterday I was in a Pet shop locally and on the tag under the Oscar tank it said "suggested minimum tank size of 30 gallons" Now, picture a potential fish buyer staring at 5-6 Half grown Oscars in front of their faces in a small 15 -20 gallon aquarium. So the sign says 30 gallons and the live example in front of there faces shows 5-7 fish in that small aquarium and it's not hard to see why most inexperiences fish keepers greatly overstock their tanks and greatly overcrowd Oscars. Plus most clerks in pet Stores are ill trained, not trained or simply don't care. They are trained and supposed to be helpful sales people fisrt and foremost. Yes it is sad, but there is no license to keep or raise fish. If you want to do your part, make a point to share some knowledge each and every time you visit a pet shop with fish in it. Help somone out who's looking at fish and offer some knowledge.

Ken

Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

From what I have read on forums and experience myself, there are very few fish shops that gave really excellent information about big fish. It seems that all I want to do is sell them. I am sure that if they told everyone that one Oscar requires such a big tank, they wouldn't sell as many because the majority of people just don't have big tanks. .

It's often the chain type larger pet stores that give most of the incorrect information as the independent fish shops are usually more reputable. The problem is that the chains are all over the place and more convenient to get to most times. There's good and bad in both I would suppose. Whoever prints up all those tags for the pet shops needs to be corrected first as that information about appropriate tank size is uaually way off and hits the customer right between they eyes as he look at the fish in the tanks. Most often they say 30 gallons or larger for an Oscar.

c_etude replied the topic: Re:Tank size

NOT just pet stores and retail--I own a book called THE GUIDE TO OWNING OSCARS by Richard Stratton, and it says, on page32, "The fact is that you can make do with a 30-gallon tank..." and goes on saying a 50 is better, but doesn't this give the impression you can get a 30 gallon tank and have a happy oscar???--NOT!!!! Nobody is going to sit there and tell me that a 30 gallon tank you can "make do" for an Oscar and that's EXACTLY what the author said. Not something that can grow 14" and basically look like a big bass. It was due to this statement that I bought a 55 gallon tank and imagined it quite sufficient. Well, let me tell you, I FELT SORRY FOR THIS OSCAR--and it's a SINGLE oscar.

Yeah, the oscar killed itself. Banged on the glass and light fixtures causing tremendous wounds from such violence.

So now I have a 125 fish tank for a SINGLE oscar. Because I FEEL GUILTY for giving my previous oscar such an insufficient 55 gallon tank that it committed suicide. Poor little thing.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I have got various aquatic books from the 70s and most of them talk about quite small tank for Oscars. I think the way of thinking has changed now since more people are keeping Oscars.

I agree, it's old standards being replaced by new ones. AND it's the internet and sites JUST LIKE THIS ONE that are helping to make that change...... ;)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds