Texting language on the forums

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL created the topic: Texting language on the forums

Can I please appeal to some members to refrain from using text language to write their thread postings. There is absolutely no need for it, there is plenty of room for even the longest message, it's not like you're looking at a small mobile phone screen. Not everyone knows this strange language so please leave the text language for your mobile phone and construct your messages using words we can all understand.

Thank you for your cooperation

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• spirogyra
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Texas Fry Cloud
  • Thank you received: 4

spirogyra replied the topic: Re: Texting language on the forums

I for one, am confused and sometimes intimidated by this "strange language" but am strangely intrigued by it. It's major benefit, when used appropriately elsewhere, is that abbreviations are much more difficult to misspell than legitimate words.

A true ACRONYM actually spells out a word...so OMG wouldn't be a true acronym but BIG (Better Industrial Group) would be.

• larch
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Keeper of Fish
  • Thank you received: 11

larch replied the topic: Re: Texting language on the forums

I don't know hey, I think using text language to write thread postings is no problem. (for me) as long as the whole thing does not consist out of it. English has changed over the years especially with the advent of the internet and cellphones and we have to keep with the times. I was on another aquarium related website were they banned using abbreviations was banned. If you want to do something like that we might as well start speaking Shakespearean English because that is the correct way of doing things.

For the other people out there here is a handy chart of internet abbreviations: www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: Texting language on the forums

the major problem is that not everyone is a texter so they're not use to that stuff and it can be very confusing. Also this forum is made up of people all over the world so what makes sense to you may not make any sense to someone in the UK or the Phillipines, it can be difficult enough to figure out all the diffrent slang words we use but to have to figure out text words too would be problematic and unnecessary

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re: Texting language on the forums

I have nothing against abbreviated texting language, however there is a time and a place when it should be used and that is not on a forum. This forum is intended to educate and advise people, I believe that correct language and wording should be used at all times. Don't get me wrong, I often use abbreviations such as OMG, LOL, that that's really as far as I go when it comes to abbreviated words on forums.

• larch
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Keeper of Fish
  • Thank you received: 11

larch replied the topic: Re: Texting language on the forums

Big-Ken wrote: the major problem is that not everyone is a texter so they're not use to that stuff and it can be very confusing. Also this forum is made up of people all over the world so what makes sense to you may not make any sense to someone in the UK or the Phillipines, it can be difficult enough to figure out all the diffrent slang words we use but to have to figure out text words too would be problematic and unnecessary

Well internet acronyms have been around since the start of the internet the same as texting. I mean some of them have been added to the Oxford as official English words. Also the fact that you state that it would be difficult for someone from either the Philippines or UK to figure out what is being said is mute because these are universal known acronyms. And after we tell people not to us texting or acronyms what is next telling them to start spelling better and not make mistakes? Just saying it is a slippery slope.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: Texting language on the forums

I know what your saying but its as simple as the Boss(OFL) says please stop so we stop, he pays the bills here so he gets to make the rules B)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re: Texting language on the forums

I feel like the big bad ogre :-) Don't worry, you're not going to get banned if you do abbreviate words, I would just Rather not have to decipher it, I'm certainly not going to lose sleep if somebody does keep doing it. However, it just means that I may not get involved in a question if it's made up with abbreviated text that doesn't make sense to me.

• spirogyra
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Texas Fry Cloud
  • Thank you received: 4

spirogyra replied the topic: Re: Texting language on the forums

OFL ...... You are NOT an ogre! OGRES have odd colored protuberances as far as I know and your AVATAR looks clean.

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: Texting language on the forums

That's right, Shrek told me ogres are like onions, and you don't look anything like an onion :P

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds