Future photograph of the month competitions

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL created the topic: Future photograph of the month competitions

I am pleased to announce that I now have a new photo competition software in place and it will be ready for November's photo competition.

I've decided that rather than having just one category, i.e. best fish, we will have three categories. They will be as follows:

Best looking Oscar fish

Best looking "any other fish"

Best looking aquarium

There will be three categories and each member can upload one photo to each if they wish. The software will automatically let you upload for a specified time, i.e. 15 days, then it will cut off and voting will be enabled. Members will only be allowed to vote one time, and the software will not let you vote for your own photograph. I'm going to put together a tutorial showing you how to use the software, i.e. how to upload photos so that when we start using it, everyone should know what to do.

I was also thinking of something else we could do regarding judging. The software allows allocated judges. So maybe we could have a members votes, and then selected panel of judges who choose their favour. It may be a good idea if the judges have some photographic knowledge so they can vote for not only the best looking fish, but the best photograph in general, i.e. lighting, composition etc. Let me know what you think, if it's not something anyone would be interested and we will just stick to members voting.

I'll keep you posted

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re: Future photograph of the month competitions

that's awesome penn,

can't wait to submit ~ let me know if you need any help ... willing to roll up my sleeves and get dirty ;)

• sdraiders619
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

sdraiders619 replied the topic: Re: Future photograph of the month competitions

I think we should just let members keep voting and not have a judging panel

• Ohhz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Ohhz replied the topic: Re: Future photograph of the month competitions

I think it sounds like a good idea, I wont be entering any time soon tho :(

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Future photograph of the month competitions

This sounds really good, can't wait to see what it will look like. I really like the whole tank picture category too, that has been neglected up to now :)

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Future photograph of the month competitions

Great idea penn

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: Future photograph of the month competitions

I know i am lazy when it comes to voting, so a panel of judges sounds good, but only partial...
It's the "Glory" you get from the forum, when you win, so that would be my main reason to stick to letting members vote.
I know nothing about DSLR's, Iso or how a picture should be composed, i just like to take pics of fish. :P

3 catagories is a very good idea. I have some pics that i wanted to send in, but as this IS O!fl ,i am not surprised an Oscarpicture wins most of the time.
And that is the way it should be. ;)

On the best looking tank picture contest, it is possible to send in different pictures of your own tank, time and time over again, until you win? :unsure:
Especially if you only have one tank...
If not, you can enter the contest only once, and if you don't win, never compete again... :(
So i hope the answer is, that you can send in the same tank in different months contests, as long as it's a different picture.
This could be usefull info for some members.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re: Future photograph of the month competitions

Of course, you can take as many pictures of you aquarium as you like, obviously you can only submit one to each category every month. I happen messing around with this software for a couple of weeks now and it's absolutely fantastic, it is custom made for photograph competitions, really excellent piece of software.

I actually got them to customise it for me, so I can set it up so people have two weeks to upload photos, then it automatically switches that function off and allows people to start voting.

Having judges is really only beneficial if the people judging the photos actually have some good knowledge and experience taking photos.

• Thank you received: 127

streetsmart73 replied the topic: Re: Future photograph of the month competitions

hi there

1. wow!
2. this is some great news & motivation to oscarlovers.
3. good on you, mr penn.

"somewhere in time ... gone with the wind"

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re: Future photograph of the month competitions

I should add that you will be voting in a slightly different way than you are used to when we start using the new software. At the moment you simply vote for your favourite photo. When you start using the new software, you can give everyone's photo a score from 1 to 10. Then when voting finishes, the winning photo is the one that has received the most points. So in theory if you think two photos are as good as each other, you can give them a score of 10, I think that is the fairest way in my opinion.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds