A little message from me

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL created the topic: A little message from me

Okay guys, I wanted to get something out in the open and hopefully clear a few matters up. Now, this message is not directly pointing out any one individual, I want to make that absolutely clear. However, it has been quite obvious that there has been a little bit of tension on the forum as of late. A couple of our members have decided that enough is enough and they have vacated the premises, hopefully not for ever, time will tell. I have been made aware by the individuals themselves exactly why they took the decision and I can appreciate why they have decided to go. I don't want anyone to leave the website, I always try and persuade people to stay but I can't make anyone stay as a member if they don't want to anymore. It has been suggested that maybe I am a little soft on people and we should even practice a zero tolerance attitude towards anyone making trouble. To a certain extent we do practice this, spamming, for instance, I don't give anyone a second chance to spam the forum, they are gone straight away, but these people don't have any intention in adding anything remotely helpful to the forum anyway. On the other hand, where do you draw the line with somebody cursing somebody else? Do we ban somebody straight away if they tell somebody to f**k off? If so, I can tell you straight away that quite a few people here would no longer be a member. I don't want to run the forum with an iron fist, we are all adults and the last thing I want to do is make everyone think that they have to walk on eggshells.

Arguments will always crop up on a forum, you show me a forum where no arguments ever happen and I will get out of my chair and run the London Marathon in April. I'm pretty sure that most of us are more than capable of dealing with anybody who wants to start an argument. The easiest way to deal with somebody who is intent on arguing is to completely ignore them. If you have got a problem with somebody, then drop them a PM and have it out with them in private. There are too many instances of arguments being fought out publicly where everyone can see. When this happens, other people join in for whatever reason and it turns into a riot. It is so easy to avoid this situation, that's why we have a private message system.

Anyway, I don't want to sound as if I'm giving you a lecture, I just wanted to get it off my chest. Remember that I may be the owner of this website, but you guys are the people who use it, without you it's nothing. I'm here for you, if the majority of you want to run the forum with an absolute zero tolerance then so be it, I will instruct our moderators to ban anyone who curses, swears, picks on any members. However, would you really want to run the forum like that?

Thanks for listening guys

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bassetman
The topic has been locked.
  • Richardb1976
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • You Can't Fix Stupid
  • Thank you received: 58

Richardb1976 replied the topic: A little message from me

I agree with taking issues to the PM
  • Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: A little message from me

To me it really depends on if that person deserved to be told to f*** off. :pinch:

People need to keep in mind that if you ask for oppinions on here you will get them. Regardless of if you like what is being said or not.
There is no need to talk down to people over anything. Well , unless they are just really out of control and babble complete nonsense. Cause then you just gotta get down to their simple minded level.
Dont get bent out of shape if you are being told something that you dont want to hear or agree with.

I dont think anyone needs to be banned right away , but maybe a PM from a Mod would be in order just to get things back in order.

Besides...I think right now we have much bigger problems...like people posting fake threads about fleas and stuff. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: A little message from me

I agree with fire if you ask for opinions, and start bashing folks who give it , you are the problem. If you just want pats on the back, just tell about your subject without soliciting opinions....especially if you know ahead of time that it is a charged question that is in contention . You learn more when you ask questions, but you do not always like what you learn.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement
  • ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: A little message from me

I am all for it Pen!

we should be able to have a good discussion!

No crying to mods and saying people are bullying me or you are name calling when you are not! If people do not agree let them not agree! that is the best part about a forum some of the MOST informative info will be given during a debate!

And if you get torched trying to defend you mute point because you have ZERO FACTS then so be it ! it is not because we do not like someone it is just good discussion about fish! And if the person is un knowledgable about fish and we tell them they can whine like a little baby and say we are being mean or take the advice OR difference of opinion and dispute it !

No iron fist!! this is a open forum! I am behind you 100% Pen on this!

def no instant bans around here!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: A little message from me

I agree with most of what has been said so far. A lot of people come here for advice but get upset when they hear what they don't want to hear and become defensive and argue. The members here are passionate about their hobby and will give out honest answers to best benefit the pets under ppl's care. This is bound to cause arguments and swearing will sometimes be involved, but if threats and name calling begin it should be taken to private messages lol. That can be intimidating to a new member if that happens to be the first post they see.

I don't think anything should change. Members should feel free to speak their mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: streetsmart73, ehall67
  • Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: A little message from me

ehall67 wrote:
No iron fist!! this is a open forum!

Iron fist is pretty bad ass

• sdraiders619
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

sdraiders619 replied the topic: A little message from me

I agree no iron fist needed
  • Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: A little message from me

I totally agree with you Penn….
Do not feed the troll;
The best way to avoid argument is to ignore the post;

However, there are times when some people become to complacent and forget that we are all humans. Sometimes we failed to notice when someone is hurting and we keep throwing some jokes and jabs that may hurt him/her further although our intention is to make things lighter. Further, sometimes we also fail to consider that we are from different places with different culture and tradition.

As a moderator, perhaps, we also fail to police our own rank. There are times argument becomes too personal and do not deal anymore about the topic. That is when and where we need to moderate; edit some posts and advice the said member/s about the infraction and why we had to moderate. Yes we are all responsible members but we need to consider also that we have some young and juvenile members here.

I also totally agree that IRON FIST is not needed; but we must also have an open mind if someone will tell us that our comment/post may seems to be offensive... and stop there… no more further justification. Saying sorry will not demean oneself but surely will lessen the pain of the one that is hurting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: streetsmart73, sdraiders619
  • OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: A little message from me

PHEW! I was lying in bed last night wondering whether this message was a good thing after all, it's nice to see that everyone is agreeable with what I have said. I would hate to run this forum like other forums I have used in the past, sometimes you get a warning if you post in the wrong forum, on this forum, we will try to politely remind people to post in the right place.

By nature I am not a confrontational person, however p1$$ me off and you will see a different side to me. Having said that, this happens once in a blue moon.

Okey-dokey, thanks everyone, you really are a great bunch of people, I mean that sincerely :-)

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds