A little message from me

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: A little message from me

"where do you draw the line with somebody cursing somebody else? Do we ban somebody straight away if they tell somebody to f**k off?"......

I was going to stay out of this & bite my tongue, but......Foul language directed @ another member w/ malicious intent should never be tolerated. Being a member of this or any forum is a priviledge, not a right. There is a distinct difference between having a heated discussion & proving your point using facts & figures & someone of low intelligence resorting to obscenity because they don't like how they were responded to in a discussion or another poster proving they don't know what they are "talking" about. This is why I left......why put up w/ crap like that?? Should a person be automatically banned for using obscenity directed @ another person to elicit a certain response or to denigrate? Ask yourself this question.....would it be tolerated in a moderated debate in a public open forum, like a political Q&A in a city or small town? No, that person would be immediately ejected. What happens when you are out in public & someone tells you to F off? The treatment would be swift & severe, wouldn't it? My point is there should be no place for obscenity "hurling" in a forum,zero tolerance for it, & those who use it to attack others should be gone.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: A little message from me

I like the way this forum is run Penn Ive told you that before its got a friendly and easy atmosphere.

I think like stated arguments happen and perhaps there should be a line drawn on some dissagreements and the subject left at that. But we do that already when the threads get locked so I dont see the issue.

There has been alot of conflinct over the last few months but really we are all adults, or should be mature enough and wise enough to understand others natures, situations and so on.

We are all passionante about this hobby and althought it can cause conflict I think its a good thing and the reason this site and we are here in the first place.

I do not think bullying should be tolerated fullstop!
I think sometimes people swear without due cause; I swaer alot in voice but try not to here, because I respect you guys and the site. But often insults are thrown back and fourth and to be honest it gets so heated because its online and thats a whole different issue.

In nature we look at face expressions to back down in a fight however it doesnt happen online and so people say things without realising the effects and others read things and take them further to heart than they would perhaps in reality. We just have to take a step back and remember its just a forum and we at the end of the day are all friends and wanting to share knowledge.

Thats my thoughts and Penn I think perhaps it was needed to be mentioned.

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: A little message from me

as long as no one calls me a Jive turkey its all good :laugh: !

( semi pro reference ?? )

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: A little message from me

Trying to make oneself heard and understood over the Internet can be difficult at times. I could say to someone f**k off you idiot on here and it will be deemed extremely offensive, however I could have a big grin on my face while writing it, in other words, it was meant to be said with tongue in cheek. I can understand that sometimes it is quite obvious that somebody is being deliberately offensive and that is not acceptable. However, I don't think an instant ban is needed for instances like this. I would like to think that we could give someone the chance to redeem themselves, rather than kicking them straight away just because they have insulted somebody. If somebody does insult another member without justification then I would hope an apology would be forthcoming, that's not a lot to ask for is it? Continuing to insult somebody on here will not get you anywhere apart from feeling my cyber boots up your backside as you fly through the door.

If you do receive a message, either by PM, or on the forum that you deem offensive then make a copy of it straightaway. So I can see what has been said. It's difficult to act when editing has taken place. I promise that I will act accordingly if I believe somebody is deliberately breaking our terms of service. I can't say more than that

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
  • Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: A little message from me

Fact is we have lost maybe the most experienced fishkeeper in the entire site. Gruff and to the point yes.. so what? Never gave bad advice on the hobby, always came across with facts. Got cussed out because he doesnt like Flowerhorns? Unacceptable.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ehall67
  • benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: A little message from me

This is a joke

No seriously. People need to learn that people have diff opinions to others. A little debate is good but arguing and bullying is not good.

Haku, I knew your were good.
  • bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict

bassetman replied the topic: A little message from me

But if you ask for a discussion you should not be a complete jerk when strong differing opinions arise.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement
  • benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: A little message from me

I know. At the end of the day opinions are just that. If you don't like what people think there isn't much you can do about it.

Also annoying when you tell someone you can't have 4 oscars in a 55G and they tell you to piss off.

Haku, I knew your were good.
  • bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict

bassetman replied the topic: A little message from me

Yep, none so blind as those who will not see.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: A little message from me

I read through this thread, and debated on whether or not to chime in. As a newbie, it is difficult to interject my opinion into the relationships of established members. I can only assume that this post applies to the departure of Fishguy, and really have no idea of circumstances.

I can say that I like the frank answers given by most of the members here, obviously those answers should be tempered to some extent. If it becomes necessary to censor everything, then just post the home page with links to articles, and no need for discussion. I did not come here to make friends, but I did come here to get advice from knowledgeable people who are willing to give it. I like the forum as it is, for whatever that is worth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big-Ken, bassetman
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds