Is it just me?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Is it just me?

Well, if your late, then I got there when the party was over!!!

My internet runs blazingly fast, EXCEPT when I'm on OFL. Sometimes it cuts out, sometimes the pages run forever before navigating to the page I'm trying to get on, & sometimes it works w/ no issues at all. It's the only site I seem to have a problem with.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Is it just me?

Darth Nandopsis wrote:
My internet runs blazingly fast, EXCEPT when I'm on OFL.

exactly my same issue.

i would think with the amount of activity and "hits" (as far as advertising goes) , there would be enough bandwith (or whatever technically is needed) to keep the site flowing ....

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Is it just me?

How is website speed with everyone? It's not too bad here, I think when it does slow down, it might have something to do with the Google bots that crawl the websites. If you get too many and they can dramatically slow things down. I have been looking at the database and I'm trying to find ways to optimise it. We will get there

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Is it just me?

google bots?!

whats a google bot?!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

ehall67 wrote: google bots?!

whats a google bot?!

Google bots is I believe is short for Google robots, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.Anyway, they are basically automated pieces of software that search the Internet and index websites. They are forever crawling the Internet and if you make changes to your website, after they have visited your site, you will then see the changes in the search queries. However, there are many of these bots out there, not all of them are from Google, all search engines around the world use them, so sometimes you can get too many at one time, which obviously can slow things up completely.

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Is it just me?

Bit of a bump in the road this morning..
I started about 30 minutes ago and it was really slow, I tried a couple other sites just to be sure and they were fine. I often look at that 'time to create page' thing down the bottom and it was as between 12 and 22 seconds. Then it just started flying through and now it's back to 0.4 seconds which it normally runs at (when there's no problems)

Edit: Spoke too soon, last post took 48 seconds :(

Not complaining though, just letting you know..

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Yes, I know exactly where your coming from. I just came on here now and everything seems to be running fairly nicely. 20 min ago it was diabolical. I have been working all day talking to different people, using different forums trying to come to a solution on how to fix this problem. I've now come to the conclusion that I believe the problem may be caused by "robots" that are working for search engines. For instance, Google sends out various bots that trawl the Internet indexing websites. Just today, we have had just over 28,000 hits from Google bot. Another bots which was unnamed visitor thus 27,000 times today, another one 17,000 times, and then there are a few others that were between 500, and 3000 hits today. Now I'm not a computer search engine expert, but I will thought if we all of a sudden get 1000 ships all at the same time, this has got to cause a problem. After all, we are just using a VPS, it is more powerful than shared hosting, but I don't think you could cope with the massive influx of fits all at once. If anybody can add to my thoughts that I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions on what my theory is

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Is it just me?

If its not the spammers it's the bots!
I remember the good old days before the Internet haha but now it's like you can't live with it and you can't live without it!
I would hate to be without online banking, eBay and OFL.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I know exactly what you mean. There's too much technology these days, bring back the 80s when life was so much simpler.

Okay, I have made some adjustments and reduce the amount of time that Google bots can visit our website. Ill be very interesting to see if you will notice a difference from now. Please do let me know

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: Is it just me?

sorry at home still slow at this time. I open or refresh 3 sites while waiting for this one to refresh. Know nothing about Google bot, Think its spending way to much time getting add links going and loaded than the main page itself.

I have always had payed domain/.server and had members donate whats needed to keep it going or payed myself. Not that expensive unless changed over the past 2 years.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds