Jade cichlids

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL created the topic: Jade cichlids

Jade cichlids don't get very big, I would say between six and 8 inches. They are fairly peaceful fish although like most cichlids, can have an aggressive side to them. However, I haven't seen much aggression from my little Jade. I did notice him nip at the Oscars tail which was quite funny and occasionally he will chase one of the clown loaches, but apart from that, he is a lovely little fish that is a really nice addition to my aquarium. They will eat most food including floating pellets. They are very partial to bloodworm. They haven't got very big mouths so it is quite funny watching them with a large pellets in their mouth. They will probably be very timid when you first get them but will soon come out of their shell. When I got mine, he hid away for a few days but now he is often out around the tank and doesn't even get frightened by people peering in at him. They are not quite as fast growing as Oscars so don't buy one at a very small size when you get your Oscar as a baby because the Oscar will grow incredibly fast. If you want to get one, try and find one that is around four or 5 inches long, you shouldn't run into any problems then.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• blacksexythunder
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

blacksexythunder replied the topic: Re:Jade cichlids

I HAVE ONE ALREADY IN THE TANK WITH MY TIGER OSCAR. THE OSCAR WAS A LITTLE SMALLER WHEN I GOT THEM, BUT NOW THE OSCAR IS BIGGER AND BULLYING MY JADE. I WAS WONDERING WHAT SIZE TANK WOULD I NEED FOR MY JADE IF I NEED TO GIVE HIM A NEW HOME?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:Jade cichlids

You want to know what sized tank you should have for the Jade cichlids? Well, that depends on if you are going to keep other fish with it. I think that keeping very small fish like tetras could be risky as they would probably be a potential snack for the Jade if he got the chance. However, you could keep slightly larger fish (fish that are around the size of Tiger barbs) and I think they 30 gallon tank would be perfectly okay for your Jade cichlid. You could then add a few tankmates, but don't go too mad, people often overcrowd their tank. If you wanted to keep the Jade all on its own, then a 20 gallon tank will probably be okay. Don't be tempted to go too small though, you will still have water problems with whatever fish you keep

• blacksexythunder
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

blacksexythunder replied the topic: Re:Jade cichlids

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY! U HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL. I WAS JUST CONCERNED ABOUT MY LITTLE JADE. I'LL SEE HOW THINGS GO FOR A LITTLE WHILE. MAYBE I CAN POST SOME PICS SOON FOR EVERYONE TO SEE MY NEW FOUND LOVES. TIGER OSCAR, NAME IS THUNDER- JADE NAME IS BOLT. LOL! HE SURE BOLT ACROSS HE TANK WHEN THUNDER IS AFTER HIM.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:Jade cichlids

I rescued a couple of clown loaches, they were probably around 1 inch apiece. My Oscars have never even attempted to eat them, well not to my knowledge anyway and their growing nicely, very slowly but they are still alive. I strongly believe it is because I have never fed my Oscars live fish. Exactly how big is your jade? Has your Oscar ever attempted to eat him? You may not have to move him out, he may be perfectly okay in there. Anyway, give it some thought

• C.B.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

C.B. replied the topic: Re:Jade cichlids

I have never had many problems with tankmates for oscars. Just make sure there are plenty of hiding spaces for smaller fish. I use slate and flag stone to make caves and partially block the entrances with plants. I like to mix other cichlids. I have had a Jack Dempsey with an Oscar in a 100 gallon. A large piece of driftwood and several plants and caves allowed me to add several smaller African and South American cichlids to the tank (Oscar -12in, Dempsey -8in, about 5 others -2in to 5in). Never add super aggressive fish in with an Oscar. In one tank, I had a 12in snakehead eat an 8in Oscar and in another a mating pair of wolf cichlids (5in) ate a 8in Dempsey.

• C.B.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

C.B. replied the topic: Re:Jade cichlids

I have never had many problems with tankmates for oscars. Just make sure there are plenty of hiding spaces for smaller fish. I use slate and flag stone to make caves and partially block the entrances with plants. I like to mix other cichlids. I have had a Jack Dempsey with an Oscar in a 100 gallon. A large piece of driftwood and several plants and caves allowed me to add several smaller African and South American cichlids to the tank (Oscar -12in, Dempsey -8in, about 5 others -2in to 5in). Never add super aggressive fish in with an Oscar. In one tank, I had a 12in snakehead eat an 8in Oscar and in another a mating pair of wolf cichlids (5in) ate a 8in Dempsey.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds