Really Random Tankmates

• LCDFlyAngel
  • LCDFlyAngel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

LCDFlyAngel created the topic: Really Random Tankmates

Just wanted to say that the combination of fish that I have with my oscar is pretty strange. The only reason that I think that it works out is that I got the oscar when he was really tiny and was almost the smallest fish in the tank. My oscar now is about 5 inches long, and his tankmates include:

1 4-inch Pleco
3 8-inch Needlefish
1 4-inch Angelfish
1 3-inch Clown Loach
2 2-inch Jack Dempseys
1 4-inch Bichir

I used to have some tiger barbs, but I offloaded them as they were terrified of the oscar and obviously not enjoying being in my tank. The other fish get along great with the Oscar. I had more angelfish when the oscar was tiny, but they died, so the oscar and the angelfish paired up. Now, even though the angel is significantly smaller than the oscar, they do everything together. If the angel sees the oscar chase some fish, the angel ALWAYS joins in the chase and doesn't stop until the oscar does. The needles kind of do their own thing at the top of the tank and dont seem to care about the oscar at all. The clown loach and the bichir are always on the bottom minding their own business and get left alone. At first, the oscar hunted the Jack Dempseys wherever they went, but now they practically school with the oscar. My plan is to gradually offload fish as the oscar grows.

So basically, if you want some random oscar tankmates, you have to introduce them when the oscar is really small.

- Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:Really Random Tankmates

Just out of curiosity, How big is the aquarium?

(I love the angelfish and I used to have several angel only tanks) I really wanted a discus tank but didnt have the water quality necessary for them. My water is just too alkaline..

Ken, 51, NJ-USA (2 Tiger Oscars)
Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Really Random Tankmates

Joliet Jake wrote:

Just out of curiosity, How big is the aquarium?

(I love the angelfish and I used to have several angel only tanks) I really wanted a discus tank but didnt have the water quality necessary for them. My water is just too alkaline..

At a rough guess I think you'd be looking at a tank of approaching 300 gallons, maybe more for all those fish

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• LCDFlyAngel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

LCDFlyAngel replied the topic: Re:Really Random Tankmates

Only 90g actually. I basically am only planning on having the oscar, pleco, and maybe the clown long-term. The other fish I'm just keeping in there as the oscar grows. As either they or the oscar gets too big, I sell off or give away the smaller fish to lighten the filtration load. I figured though, while I have the space, might as well have some more activity going on in there and get the oscar used to having a bunch of fish around. That way, if for whatever reason I have to add any fish to his tank in the future, he'll be fairly used to it.

- Dan

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

90 gallons is certainly big enough for one Oscar and a couple of medium-sized tankmates. However, it would not be suitable for the pleco. The majority of these get very big indeed which means you haven't got enough space. They produce an enormous amount of waste as well. There are various smaller plecs. Some of them would probably be a bit small to keep with an adult Oscar. There are ones only reach around 8 inches. However, you still haven't got enough room for one. I have kept these fish before and I have always got rid of them. They are just too darn messy. Your tank will be filthy within a few days of having these fish. Their crap is like long brown strings. I've seen over 18 inches long, it's absolutely disgusting and makes a tank look horrible.

Regarding the Clown Loach. I wouldn't recommend just keeping one, these sort of fish do better in groups. I have got 4, 2 very large ones, and two small ones. The two large ones very rarely leave each other size as do the small ones. If you try and keep one on its own, there is a possibility it will become stressed which could put them at risk from stress-related disease which isn't good for ClownLoach

• LCDFlyAngel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

LCDFlyAngel replied the topic: Re:Really Random Tankmates

No, I definitely know about the clown loach. I had three, but then the tank came down with white spot, which I managed to clear up on all the fish, except two of the clowns which eventually died. I'm getting him some buddies shortly, now that I've given the tank a couple weeks to settle down after all of that.

With regards to the pleco, when I said I plan to keep him long-term, I didn't mean that I plan to let him get full sized. I do know that they are messy, so I'll probably sell him off as he grows and replace with a smaller one or something...depends on how everything goes. I figured, I'd get all my variety in with the tank while the oscar was still small, and eventually narrow the tank down to just him and a couple smaller tankmates. If the two jacks continue to get along with him as they have been, I might try to hang on to them as well.

- Dan

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I absolutely adore ClownLoach. Mine are probably a tad over 7 inches. I would love to see one of these huge 12 inch ones, they must be absolute monsters

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds