Lonely Oscar?

• ped_07
  • ped_07's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

ped_07 created the topic: Lonely Oscar?

I have 2 ( had 2 ) oscars in my 4 foot tank and recently one of them ( the smaller one - about 6 inches ) started to gasp and become lethargic and wasnt interested in food anymore... sadly 3 days ago it didnt make it but i have another oscar about 8 inches and quite a fatty which is in the tank along with a plec (about 8 inches long) and a catfish . i was wondering if my oscar would become bored because it has had someone to fight with for over 4 years and on a different subject... as im sure u are all aware oscars do enjoy there food.. mine has been eating as usual and it looks as if its stomach has become swollen up... im not sure if it is food thats causing this or something else... its started burrowing around alot more now that its in the tank alone except the bottom feeders, can anyone help me out and let me know if this behaviour is normal because i have grown quite fond of him/her even if at feeding time it thinks my fingers are the food and not the pellets there dropping!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Lonely Oscar?

Welcome to the forum. Okay, what I am about to say has upset people in the past. What we have to remember is an Oscar is only a fish. They have gained the nickname water dogs or river dogs because of the way they act in the tank.. but at the end of the day, they are fish and they don't have the same sort of emotions as a dog.. you may think they do, but they actually don't. Oscars do seem to act as if they really like us but they are just associating movement outside of the tank with feeding, that's all. If you study very small fish liked tetras, they often act the same at feeding time, they will come to the front of the tank and get very excited. It's because they are very small, we don't really notice it..

What I'm trying to say is your fish will not get bored on its own. It will be perfectly happy (or should I say just okay) I too had an Oscar pass away on me and I study her behaviour very carefully. She didn't act differently in any way at all. I have spoken to other people who have also said that there Oscar is none the worse when their mate dies.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• ped_07
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ped_07 replied the topic: Re:Lonely Oscar?

thanks thats good that it wont get stressed or anything by being on its own... but for my own viewing benefit what sort of fish of similar size could i add so that its not just the oscar swimming around in the middle of the tank? also 1 more thing have u noticed any swelling around the middle area of your oscar ? i would say that on mine its about the size of a golf ball but my fish is already quite thick in girth... im going to hold back on feeding him the pellets for a few days and see if it goes down cos he is eating about 10 - 15 large floating cichlid pellets at each meal time usually about 5 pm aqnd again about 10 pm and doesnt seem to be producing much waste. thanks for your help

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I have recently added a couple of tinfoil barbs and they have made one hell of a difference. Oscars are really nice fish, but they are a little boring on their own. I would suggest adding a little bit of movement. However, I wouldn't advise tinfoil barbs. I only took them because there wasn't anywhere else for the person to take them. They are very messy fish and eat like pigs. You really do need a big tank for them. Why don't you try a few silver dollars? If you get them at around four or 5 inches, they won't grow much bigger and they will give some movement to your tank because there will be swimming around a lot. They won't be small enough for the Oscar to eat and they will get out of their way okay.

• ped_07
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Just 1 more question... u must be sick of hearing from me! if u notice slight pitt marks or small grooves on my fish's head, from reading ur site i think its H I T H disease... can this be treated easilly or do i just do more regular water and filter changes?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Of course I'm not sick of hearing from you :P I wouldn't have set this whole thing up if I didn't want people to join in. I feel humbled that you actually ask me for advice. Anyway, I can only answer your question if you send me a photograph. Oscars pick up little wounds on their body which can be worrying. I was keeping a very close eye on my Tiger Oscar the other day because I was absolutely positive he was developing hole in the head. All the little wounds have gone now. However, I do regular tank maintenance which is one of the best ways of preventing and curing early stages of hole in the head. Oscars have sensory pits all over their head. They look like little pinholes and many people often panic and think they are getting hole in the head as he is. There is a picture in the gallery showing just this.

• ped_07
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

this is the best picture of my oscar i could get i think its camera shy! the holes on it head in places seem to be almost symetrical so im thinking that they are supposed to be there but on occasion i have noticed grooves opening up near its eyes but have since cleared up . i am quite concerned about the bloated stomach he has, i wasnt exaggerating when i said its about the size of a golf ball... u think it would be okay not feeding him till saturday ? he is so greedy so i think he might be aquatically contipated or something... ha ha thanks for all your help

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

There is no photographs with your posting, did you try and put one on?

If he is developing a swollen abdomen, I would stop feeding for a few days and see what happens. Fish will be perfectly okay without food for quite a few days, in fact two or three weeks so don't worry about him.

fish replied the topic: Re:Lonely Oscar?

Hi Ped07, I also suggest not feeding for a few days.
A pellet only diet is not that good, you can feed bloodworms,earthworms, I feed mine small frozen fish (defrosted) from the fishing tackle shop, some people feed theirs oranges even.
Some things to try are , a water change say 50 to 60% and you could offer him some shelled frozen peas, defrosted.
The weekly water changes are also needed to help keep hith at bay.

I hope your fishes swelling soon goes down.

I love my river dogs

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

You said you use pellets from the fishing tackle shop? Be careful you are not using the high oil content ones, these are not good for fish. They use them to fatten up trout and salmon. Some fishing venues won't even let people use these.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds