Striped Raphael catfish

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Striped Raphael catfish

Once we're certain, I'll tell you guys all about it. Right now, the primary feeling is relief to be able to escape the current landlords :)
The topic has been locked.
  • Phantom
  • Phantom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Re: Striped Raphael catfish

Would 2 striped raphaels be overstocking my 90g? I can get a single cat but I'm wondering if they prefer a buddy of the same species or could care less?
  • ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Striped Raphael catfish

i want to hear them growl

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: Striped Raphael catfish

They don't care about a buddy, they do fine in one's two's or what ever. It will largely depend on what you already have in the tank and how much more bioload your filters can handle.

@Eddie just take em out of the water. Most catfish make noise out of water as they're pushing air over their gills.

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee
  • Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I have a single Lutino Oscar 9+ inches and still growing in a 90 gallon tank. I've had him for 7 months now since I got him at 2 inches. My nitrates are at 5ppm or less since I do a 1/3 WC every second day. Not because I have to. I just like clean water lol. I figure I definately have room for a tank mate/mates, but I don't want to push it to the limit.

I'll be getting another canister filter before putting a single fish in.
  • Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: Striped Raphael catfish

You'd probably be ok to add a raphael then once you've upgraded your filtration.

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee
  • Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

Wicket is in a 110 gallon with three of them, which will be quite full when they're all big. I would think at least 20 gallons per adult catfish.

They school when they're small, but as they get larger, this behaviour changes.

So, I'd say if you're very keen, you could get away with two, taking into account that when they're 10 inch monsters in a few years or so, you will be over stocked.

Also, interesting tidbit, the fish an oscar is most likely to predate on in the wild are small catfish.
  • Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I'll just get a single cat then, if I do get a raphael. Keep things within my stocking limit.

Nina, hopefully a catfish that will grow 3/4 the size of an oscar won't be considered 'small' :laugh: If I order one from my lfs(I don't even know if they can get them yet)I don't know what size it will be. I may have to put her in a smaller temporary tank until she gains some size.
  • Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

no, true, true. I just find it interesting :)

They're pretty much all wild caught still, and shipped small because they travel better while small. So if you ordered one, two inches or so would be what I would expect, maybe smaller.
  • Thank you received: 14

funnyjew2 replied the topic: Re: Striped Raphael catfish

I have a 90 gallon with a 12 inch Oscar and I have 2 raphaels, infact, it is the only fish my Oscar will tolerate. 2 is fine in a 90...pending filtration. I have two aqua clear 110's. I used to have 1 aqua clear 110 and a cannister but got tired of my fluval not starting up after every cleaning.

They are great fish, but yes they hide most of the time, although once they get used to there new home you will see them swimming around even during the day. I have one that is always out and the other comes out for food and when lights are off i see both of them swimming all over. I add blue lights for night time. My oscar never really bothers them, infact they swim up to his gills as food flares out and try to get their fair share that way..its quite funny. But when they eat they never stop..so dont over feed. I only feed my 2x a week and my oscar only gets fed 3 or 4x a week and anything that is left over i know they will scavenge. If you do get 2 make sure they each have their own hiding spot because they will fight over it. Mine use to do that until I got 2 logs for each. Bio load is not alot...i've never had any issues..just make sure you have enough filtration.

"Chicks Dig me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do, it's usually something crazy"... Bill Murray
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds