Striped Raphael catfish

• Phantom
  • Phantom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Re: Striped Raphael catfish

I'll probably go with a single then. Forgot that they don't like sharing as adults and I don't want to over decorate with my clumsy oscar :)

They are only wild caught?? Uh oh, that may be a problem getting one up here in BC :( I'll just have to see if my lfs can even acquire one.

I can easily get featherfins, but the raphael just looks too cool and has more defenses.
The topic has been locked.
  • Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Striped Raphael catfish

As far as I know, yes, they're all caught from the wild. But there, the juveniles live in giant schools, so they're pretty easy to come by, and they're not threatened.

I'm fairly sure your LFS should be able to make a plan :)
  • Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Looks like I'm in luck :) They already carry them I just never saw them because they are babies and always hiding. No label either, so i never thought to ask. Only 1-2 inches though so I am going to have to buy a small tank (10-20 gallons)to grow him out a bit. Will put some bio media from my filter into the new tank filter and hopefully I can add the little cat right away.
  • Thank you received: 14

funnyjew2 replied the topic: Re: Striped Raphael catfish

dont add him if he's only 1 or two inches...it could result in both fish dying. wait until he has some girth on him. They have spikes that will definetly get cought in oscars mouth and your oscar could choke and drown. if you can, see if they have any that are at least 4 inches..you'd be safe with that size

"Chicks Dig me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do, it's usually something crazy"... Bill Murray
  • Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Cost wise I'd prefer to get the 10 gallon rather than the 20, since it isn't long term. Would that be too small, even to grow him a bit(around 4"-5")? I'd be planning to move him out into the 90 gallon long before reaching a large size.

Or do you think I should just plan on getting the 20 to give myself a safety margin in case my Oscar grows into a goliath faster than I anticipate and I need the raphael to be closer to an adult size?
  • Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

yup, funnyjew2 no way I'm putting him in my 90g. Buying a smaller tank to grow him a bit.
  • Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

Phantom wrote: Cost wise I'd prefer to get the 10 gallon rather than the 20, since it isn't long term. Would that be too small, even to grow him a bit(around 4"-5")? I'd be planning to move him out into the 90 gallon long before reaching a large size.

Or do you think I should just plan on getting the 20 to give myself a safety margin in case my Oscar grows into a goliath faster than I anticipate and I need the raphael to be closer to an adult size?

the smaller the tank, the more water you'll need to change to get him to grow quickly. That said, I think a 10 gallon will be ok for a growout here. How big are you planning on growing it?
  • brad0h
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • A Hungry Fish Is A Healthy Fish
  • Thank you received: 25

brad0h replied the topic: Re: Striped Raphael catfish

ehall67 wrote: i want to hear them growl

Hahaha, I thought this was not true of Raphael catfish because mine never did it but one day, once he was a lot bigger I removed him from his tank and man was that thing talking!!!

We aren't joking when we say water changes and Prime are the best solution to a problem.
  • Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Nina, I may just end up getting the 20. It's still cheap, at least compared to the 2000+ dollars I've spent with my 90g :laugh: I don't mind doing daily water changes; a 20g would be a breeze compared to my 90g. I don't even need my syphon, just a big pitcher. It will probably be in the tank for close to a year I'd assume, enough to grow 4 or more inches. I want to be sure there is no way my Oscar can swallow him and his 'armor' is thick enough to take some abuse in case my Oscar is a jerk.
  • Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior

Bigger is definitely always better :)

Now I get to camp for pictures!
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds