Bala Shark (\"silver\" shark)

• Porkpie
  • Porkpie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Porkpie created the topic: Bala Shark (\"silver\" shark)

hi

First time post here. I wanted to know if anyone has experience of keeping bala or "silver" sharks with oscars? I currently have an oscar with a red tailed black shark and 3 clownloaches. All have been living together for 18 months and are very happy - but I have a large tank (bought for 2 oscars but only got 1) and was thinking of adding 2 bala sharks. Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Bala Shark (\"silver\" shark)

Bala sharks do grow quite big, how big is your tank at the moment? You're going to need well over 100 gallons of you want to sharks and an Oscar. I don't think there'll be any aggression problems, you'll just need lots of space

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:Bala Shark (\"silver\" shark)

Bala Sharks get big, and I mean big, in fact, their listed as monster fish according to
www.monsterfishrescue.com
(Frankly, so are oscars)

They can get a lot longer than oscars, but not as tall and massive. So, if you can fit two oscars in that tank, then you can fit an oscar and a bala in that tank. How big is it exactly? Oscars may bully balas, but balas generally are so fast, agile, and large themselves that aggression won't be a problem.

• Thank you received: 0

Griller replied the topic: Re:Bala Shark (\"silver\" shark)

I had two large silver sharks (30cm) and considered putting them in with my Oscars.

I decided that it would be a very bad idea because the silvers are too skittish and would probably die from stress or bashing themselves on things when they panic.

I keep tin-foil barbs which are similar but (in my opinion) much more suitable tank mates for Oscars.

Hope this helps.

Alex the obsessive fish keeper

Experience: Marine aquiculture, captive breeding programs, South Australian native FW fish, American cichlids

Check out: My 9000L (2400gal) MEGA TANK project; and my 1000L (264gal) Amazon tank at:
www.alexanderforeman.webs.com

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds