Tank mate for my Oscar and Jack Dempsey?

• FranktheFish13
  • FranktheFish13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

FranktheFish13 created the topic: Tank mate for my Oscar and Jack Dempsey?

Hi all,

I am fairly new to the forum. I wanted to find out what a suitable tank mate would be for an oscar (roughly 5," at this point) and a jack Dempsey (around 4"). They are currently in a 75 gallon tank. I wanted to add one more fish. There are also 3 plecos in there. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Tank mate for my Oscar and Jack Dempsey?

Hello and welcome to the site. Your tank is already severely overstocked. A 75g is sufficient for 1 Oscar only, nothing else. And 3 plecos is VERY bad. Huge waste producers and major contributors to the bio load. May not look so bad right now, but an Oscar can reach in excess of 16ins and some breeds of pleco can reach 2 feet.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Tank mate for my Oscar and Jack Dempsey?

What kind of plecos are they? How did you end up with 3 plecos? As Suprd said, you should rehome everything but the oscar if he's the fish you want.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• FranktheFish13
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

FranktheFish13 replied the topic: Tank mate for my Oscar and Jack Dempsey?

I just recently upgraded the tank to a 75 gallon; I understand how big the oscar/jack dempsey will get...I know I will need to get a larger tank, but the 75 gallon appears to be sufficient at this time. The plecos are bristlenose plecos; they usually only grow to be about six inches max.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Tank mate for my Oscar and Jack Dempsey?

You need a liquid test kit, and should be testing ammonia, nitrites at least a couple of times a week, and testing nitrates every 2-3 days with that many fish. This is the only way to tell if the water is clean for the fish. If ammonia and nitrites are more than 0ppm after 24 hours, then you are underfiltered. If nitrates are over 20ppm, then you need to do a 50% water change.

• FranktheFish13
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

FranktheFish13 replied the topic: Tank mate for my Oscar and Jack Dempsey?

We do have a liquid test kit. We monitor the ammonia and nitrite/nitrate levels every two days or so. There are no problems with the water quality.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Tank mate for my Oscar and Jack Dempsey?

If your planning on a bigger tank, get it now. Jack Dempsey will grow slow but the oscar will need the extra water all to himself sooner rather than later. They grow fasssst. If you've never raised an oscar before it's hard to grasp just how fast they grow.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Tank mate for my Oscar and Jack Dempsey?

if you want to add more fish I would look at getting a 150gal before adding any more. Also your Bn plecs may get eaten in the long run if kept with oscars. I had a female in with my oscars but my oscars are soft and not in to eating fish and my plec would put them in their place but other oscars will eat BN plecs if given the chance.

I think SD may be good with oscar and jd or perhaps a sev but you need a bigger tank before considering any other fish

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Tank mate for my Oscar and Jack Dempsey?

So what are exact levels for Ammonia , Nitrites and Nitrates ?

Peoples understanding of " no problems with the water quality " are sometimes very missguided.
And if there are no problems , why test every 2 days ? ( Unless you are in the process of cycling a tank ).

• Thank you received: 10

Peeps replied the topic: Tank mate for my Oscar and Jack Dempsey?

I have a 2" oscar all alone in a 75 gallon. Trust me I want to add another but I won't they grow fast and get massive. You will have a cramped tank with alll those plecos. I would not add anymore of anything. I would get the JD and 55-75 gallon and just let your oscar alone in the 75 gallon. You will have better success and water quality that way. Please know we are just trying to help from future problems.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds