Meet Poseidon and Mr. P

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 created the topic: Meet Poseidon and Mr. P

So here are Poseidon the red oscar, who is now almost 5 inches, and his tank mate Mr. P the 10 inch H. Plecostomus. They are currently residing together in a 55 gallon, which I am upgrading in the next couple of weeks after a reimbursement comes in. I was going to try and get rid of Mr. P knowing how giant they can grow, but my son loves him a lot, so a bigger tank it is.

He and poseidon "get along" fairly well at the moment except when Mr. P tries to eat the slime off of Poseidon, though he can handle himself well and no major conflicts have arisen yet, but why I am eager to get the larger tank.

Currently I feed Mr. P zucchini or apples with a couple of shrimp pellets stuffed in them. I only recently tried him on the apples and he absolutely devours them, even coming out in the lit aquarium. He don't care. Poseidon eats a routine of pellets, freeze-dried shrimp, and the occasional piece of zucchini. I run an AC 70 and some SunSun canister that is suppose to pump out 265 gph; so between the two filters things are pretty groovy. I threw a Devils ivy in there as well as a bunch of hardy A. Sword plants all of which is helping to keep the nitrates to about 5ppm. Looking forward to Poseidon growing up!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Meet Poseidon and Mr. P

That's a good looking little O. Tank looks nice with the live plants but as Poseidon get older he's probably going to shred them.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Meet Poseidon and Mr. P

They look great and well looked after. Now I want a pleco again. Lol

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Meet Poseidon and Mr. P

Fine looking Oscar. Look at that pouty lip! I like plecos too, have a few, messy critters though. What ya got coming for a new tank? Gonna keep the 55?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Meet Poseidon and Mr. P

Thanks guys. He's a lot of fun so far and seems to have a relatively mild personality, though did jump up to bite my finger once when he was only 3 inches!

I find out this week if I am moving to another, bigger unit in my apartment building by months end, and if I do I may go for a 120 gal when I upgrade. If we do end up staying I only have about a 65 inch space to play with so would probably only go up to 90 gallons. Not sure what I will do with the 55, may give it to my son's day care, or possibly use it to upgrade my 15 gallon community tank, but don't have tons of extra space where I am living.

I am prepared for the possibility Poseidon will destroy the plants, but working on the theory (hope?) that some Os are ok with plants if introduced to them at a young age. Guess I'll find out soon enough! I am fine either way and I can always throw in more of the ivy, which just floats around anyway and looks pretty cool.

ETA: yeah, I like the pleco a lot. I like trying find food he likes to eat. Blanched carrots? Forget it! But crazy for zucchini and apples.

65in still good for 120g, will even fit a 150, 60x24x24. If Oscar dont mangle those plants, you are in the severe minority!

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: 65in still good for 120g, will even fit a 150, 60x24x24. If Oscar dont mangle those plants, you are in the severe minority!

Ok, I better do more investigating of tanks. The one LFS I visited only had 72 inch 120s so had kind of written them off for my current space. Is there any place in the US that ships larger tanks? Or is that even advisable?

If you can find an outlet that sells Marineland tanks, I highly recommend them. I have a pair of 120's, 60x18x26. Superior quality, and best of all a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

There seem to be a bunch of places around me that sell Marineland, will have to phone around for those dimensions. That is pretty much the perfect size for my current space.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Meet Poseidon and Mr. P

I have a 60" 120 (Marineland) for my Oscar and IMO it's a perfect Oscar tank,

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds