4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

• Waters
  • Waters's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Waters created the topic: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Hey guys, just found this sight thought it looked pretty cool, so i signed up.
Me and my partner are new to owning fish and tanks, we started off with a 2ft tank, which we now have 6 mollies and a Siamese fighter in there. and now have upgraded to a 4ft, and have 2 oscar's; one tiger oscar that has doubled its size since we got him a month ago; and the newby we got tonight is beautiful albino oscar. Their tank mates are 4 silver dollars, a firemouth, a green terror, and 2 mating convicts (very small). All the fish in our 4 ft tank are 2-4 inches, and get along beautifully, apart from the convicts giving every one a hard time when they go into their territory. (a car)
AND before anyone says anything about the size of the tank.. we are soon to buy a 8ft tank for our community tank, then leave the 2 oscars in our 4 ft. But they are all small and happy at the moment so no rush.

Just one question to anyone out there????
Our ammonia levels seem to be quite high in both the 2ft and 4ft tanks.. we have looked it up and the main reason most people say is over feeding.. though when we do feed them everything gets gobbled up as soon as it hits the tank. so, i don't know how that can be the issue..

Everything else is fine. :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

The reason your tanks have high ammonia is that they are beyond severely overcrowded, & I would bet that your filters aren't cycled. Let me guess....you bought these tanks, set them up, & placed the fish in there w/ no filter cycling.

A 4 ft tank is sufficient for only one Oscar of any size. When stocking a tank, the ADULT size of the fish is how you measure the appropriate stocking level. You have enough fish in there for a 265GL aquarium, regardless of current size.

" we have looked it up and the main reason most people say is over feeding.. though when we do feed them everything gets gobbled up as soon as it hits the tank. so, i don't know how that can be the issue.."

When fish eat, they excrete waste. The more you feed them, the more waste gets put into the water column. The also give off ammonia through respiration & urination. If you don't have a functioning biological filter to handle the ammonia produced by your fish, you will get high ammonia readings.

What types (brand name exactly) of filters do you have on these tanks, what are your readings (PH, ammonia, nitrite,), how long have these tanks been set up, what is your water change schedule?

I would more than strongly recommend that you purchase a book by a known author & do some research on cichlid husbandry, filtration, & how the nitrogen cycle works. You do not have a firm grasp of these subjects & you need these in order to be successful.

Video of these tanks, please.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Darth has given you all the correct info on what is most likely the underlying problem. Can you give us the info he requested and a video to better help you. We want to see your fish survive and you succeed. It sounds like a local store may have told you "oh yes you can have this and this and this ect.. In your tank" as is a common practise in order to maximize profits from every customer. No matter how much you may think they may be looking out for your best interest. Some also have no clue as to stocking aquariums unfortunately.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 3

JamJar replied the topic: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

"2 oscar's; one tiger oscar that has doubled its size since we got him a month ago; and the newby we got tonight is beautiful albino oscar. Their tank mates are 4 silver dollars, a firemouth, a green terror, and 2 mating convicts (very small)."

WOW… ok so going on the typicals dimensions of tanks from a shop ur would be 240L/60gal capacity..

now I'm also new to this site and new to owning cichlids but if you want to read the 5 tabs up the top of this page.. you would know its MINIMUM 55 gal per oscar.. even if its 2inchs.. and also the tank mate tab..

u have 2 oscars which are going to grow to 10"+ within 10-12 months… (don't hold me to that just from what i been told :P)

fire mouth which will grow to 6" and a green terror 8"

2 mating convicts… well.. IF they survive. but u said there tiny so there dead.. but IF they do and grow to full size ur OS's and FM will get bullied i would imagine (correct me if I'm wrong)

GT I've been told can be a nightmare it depends on the fish..

All the fish in our 4 ft tank are 2-4 inches

When they get big there going to tare each other apart in that small tank...

I'm surprised u haven't got a pleco lol

ok so here is a site that will help u out I'm not going to go on ranting lol..

www.liveaquaria.com

type in the fishes name it will tell you the recommended tank size and size it will grow to.. just because the fish is 2" doesn't mean u can put more in the tank…

GT -50G
2 OS - 130G IMO!
FM - 30G
2 Cons - 60G

Add 4 silver dollars i was told there not much of a bio load

270Gal Tank min..

280L X 80H X 50W (cms)

thats a big custom job... to buy a 270-300gal tank in the shop it would be ridiculous.. if u can't afford it find your fish a home before they get sick or eat each other..

tanks really are not that hard to build, but if you can't buy one or build one i would seriously recommend giving some of ur fish away for adoption to somebody that knows what there doing and have a big tank… just keep one oscar in ur tank with 3-4 SD's maybe..

BUT! you have a Misses thats prob not going to let you keep just 1 big fish in a 60gal tank lol so id recommend buying smaller cichlids and filling the tank so its nice and busy if thats her say on things (just going on my womans thought process.. lol)

OR if you want a big fish thats colourful and really easy to look after and is fun to watch id recommend a Flowerhorn.. keep it alone in ur tank its a funny fish does flips and flaps about. and are REALLY colourful.. but what ever u put in the tank will be eaten (even ur hand) i know this is a oscar forum but flower horns are better for beginners I'm actually getting given one for a part exchange for a new tank build next week :) Bright PInk one :silly:

Ammonia is SHIT basically… its like putting 10 pups in a small room… they might be babies but its still going to be discussing! can u imagine when ur fully grown!

also like Darth said u probs haven't got any bacteria on ur media to help which comes from ur CYCLE (again read the tabs above everything is there)

Dude start again. Just READ.. SEARCH.. LEARN.. ASK QUESTIONS AND ENJOY YOURSELF :)

Il help if i can but my knowledge is mainly around plumbing and the building side of things but I'm learning everyday about cichlids :) There are tons of PROs on here and u already have the attention of 2 of them so take advantage :)

GOODLUCK!

P.S. ADULT SIZE OSCARS ARE BIG MAN!

i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r541/joecamp10388/photo13.jpg

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Waters replied the topic: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

We have taken in everything you have said and all good info. thank you :)
Firstly to answer the first questions, we bought the 4ft tank second hand ran it with the water for a week, then put mollies in for a week because they are hardy. Then put the one Oscar in and then just kept adding fish from there.. Fish shop was just like yes you can have this and this cool one.. etc etc.
We have done a fair bit of research on each fish and how big they get rah rah.
In the 4ft tank there is 2 aquaone104F Maxi's. So filtrating 1480L per hour EACH.
And the nitrite and everything else is 0 and Ph 7.4. just ammonia is about 0.4ppm
We need to get some API stress zime or something of the kind.
All we knew was it needed one week to cycle with just water, then another week with hardy fish ( why we got mollies) then it would be fine.. But obviously not hey! We have had the 4ft tank set up for just under a month. and the 2fter for 2mnths

I don't know how to add pictures and videos up on the site??

In the next couple of weeks we are buying an 8ft tank and will be splitting them up into the 2! (once we get that one set up because it might take a while for cycling) now that we know

SO yes we do have the money and are willing to be true Oscar fish lovers and owners..Might have to get rid of a few here and there, already we had to separate the 2 convicts ( getting to aggressive while mating- where nipping at everyone)

The 4 silver dollars eat every ones poo actually, pretty much as soon as it comes out of the other fishes bums and each others..
And the convicts aren't that small they are just the smallest in the tank about 2 inch but aggressive as.

We know Oscars do get large, we aren't that silly. :dry:
Anyway, thanks for all the feedback, im sure we will learn more as we go, practice makes perfect, and knowledge makes it even better.
Thanks again guys.

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Waters replied the topic: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Oh exciting news, just did the ammonia levels again tonight and its gone down to about 0.2! yay

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Waters wrote: I don't know how to add pictures and videos up on the site??

You need to create an url for your pics and video. You can create a picture url through a Photobucket or Flickr account or through a burner account like Tinypic.com.

Once you have an image url you can use the image icon with a chain above your message (not in the "Quick Reply") and insert it there.

Same with the video although you use the film icon and must create a video url through Youtube or similar site.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :P

• Thank you received: 3

JamJar replied the topic: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Waters wrote: We have taken in everything you have said and all good info. thank you :)
Firstly to answer the first questions, we bought the 4ft tank second hand ran it with the water for a week, then put mollies in for a week because they are hardy. Then put the one Oscar in and then just kept adding fish from there.. Fish shop was just like yes you can have this and this cool one.. etc etc.
We have done a fair bit of research on each fish and how big they get rah rah.
In the 4ft tank there is 2 aquaone104F Maxi's. So filtrating 1480L per hour EACH.
And the nitrite and everything else is 0 and Ph 7.4. just ammonia is about 0.4ppm
We need to get some API stress zime or something of the kind.
All we knew was it needed one week to cycle with just water, then another week with hardy fish ( why we got mollies) then it would be fine.. But obviously not hey! We have had the 4ft tank set up for just under a month. and the 2fter for 2mnths

I don't know how to add pictures and videos up on the site??

In the next couple of weeks we are buying an 8ft tank and will be splitting them up into the 2! (once we get that one set up because it might take a while for cycling) now that we know

SO yes we do have the money and are willing to be true Oscar fish lovers and owners..Might have to get rid of a few here and there, already we had to separate the 2 convicts ( getting to aggressive while mating- where nipping at everyone)

The 4 silver dollars eat every ones poo actually, pretty much as soon as it comes out of the other fishes bums and each others..
And the convicts aren't that small they are just the smallest in the tank about 2 inch but aggressive as.

We know Oscars do get large, we aren't that silly. :dry:
Anyway, thanks for all the feedback, im sure we will learn more as we go, practice makes perfect, and knowledge makes it even better.
Thanks again guys.

Sounds like you taken everything on board :) if u need any help don't be hesitant to create a thread and these guys and myself can help!

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Waters replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Waters replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds