4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

• Waters
  • Waters's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Waters replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

"In the 4ft tank there is 2 aquaone104F Maxi's. So filtrating 1480L per hour EACH."

I've got 3 of these in the fish lab to aid filtration for the red devils. They are beyond useless as biological filters, and only rated "up to 180L" each. They'd be ok as a supplemental mechanical filter due to the high flow rate, but do NOT cut it as the main filter for a tank with oscars. They don't have enough space for even close to enough beneficial bacteria to remove ammonia from 1 oscar, let alone two + tankmates.

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Waters replied the topic: Re:4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Okay so we will need to look at something new for filtration... any suggestions on which type/brands?

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

On my 6 x 2 I have a Fluval FX5 and an Aqua One Nautilus 2700. The Fluval FX5 is way better than the Nautilus, but the Nautilus is pretty good for what it is and a lot cheaper if you're buying new. It's my backup for the Fluval and adds a bit more water movement.

Probably best to get 2 big canister filters for the 8ft, or a big canister like the FX5 + maybe a HOB like the AC110 (not familiar with it myself but I've heard good things). I'd vote the 2 big canisters personally, but that's because I've gone that way and it works well.

For the 4ft, for an oscar I'd honestly put an FX5 on there too, but if you needed something smaller the Fluval 405 is good, or something like an Eheim 2217. Again, I'd personally go 2 filters - one for biological filtration + something for mechanical, or two canisters.

I prefer Fluval to Eheim. Eheims are way overpriced and, quite frankly, I think Fluvals are more durable. I've had a few issues with the Eheim 2215 I have but never had a problem with any of my Fluvals.

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Great thank you so much! We might have a look into the fluval FXF. Sounds decent !
Thanks again Lammergeier. Great advice!

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

We only have the 1 tiger Oscar now, unfortunately someone picked at the albino Oscar and stressed it to death. And removed one of the female convicts. We are getting a 6 ft by 2ft tank in the next couple of days hopefully and start that one up. So will be moving all the tankmates Into the 6ft and leaving Oscar in the 4ft! With better filtration!
Then we should be sweet!

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

You're welcome, and poor albino. I'm betting that was probably the convict.

What dimensions does the 4ft have, and what fish do you still have? You may be better off moving the oscar + a FEW of the tankmates to the 6 x 2, and leaving the remainder in the 4ft.

When you get a new filter, make sure you take out the bio sponges from at least one of the 104s and put it into the canister. While you probably don't have much bacteria on them, it might hopefully be enough to kick-start your cycle in the new filter. You'll need to watch ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels very closely in both tanks though. I'd suggest getting seachem prime (or seachem safe) as a dechlorinator if you aren't using it already. I got a 1kg jar of safe for ~$50 on ebay. If you do get an ammonia or nitrite spike, adding it in excess (follow the directions) temporarily neutralises ammonia and nitrites. It's still there for the bacteria, but in an inert form. You have to re-dose though, it only neutralises it for 48 hours max.

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Yeah possibly, the 4 ft is only 35ml wide. And our tiger Oscar, 4 silver dollars, a green Texas, firemouth, male convict, couldn't resist getting a black ghost knife the other day dnot know much about them but he just hides in the top of the castle and I leave sinking crisp things for food for him in a tube at night after lights out. And he seems to eat then.

Anyway.. we were feeding them all blood worms once a day to bulk everyone up a bit when the first couple of weeks. But have now cut down as our previous ammonia problem.
We are doing water changes twice a week at the moment because it's overstocked and don't want anymore ammonia problems!
And yes we are using prime. And we are keeping an eye on the ph and ammonia etc!

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

I just got an API Filstar XP-XL canister from Big Als (through Amazon) for my 75 gallon. I think an X goes for about 109 bucks and should be fine for your tank.

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Okay awesome we will have a look into them in the next couple of days and see what we can get! Thank you

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds