4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

You need to rehome the ghost knife fish asap. They can get up to 2ft long and need a 6ft tank to themselves alone. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_ghost_knifefish

I'd consider rehoming the convict, giving the green texas the 4ft to itself and keeping the oscar, firemouth and 4SDs together in the 6 x 2.

As you're overstocked you probably need to do more water changes than 2x a week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Waters
  • Waters's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Waters replied the topic: Re:4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Well we rarely see the black ghost knife fish anyway so wouldn't miss it! Thanks for that link!
Yeah wanting to get rid of the convicts because we have the female in our old 2ft tank with a couple of mollies because they started to get mating behaviour and were getting to aggressive together. So not really ideal! Just don't know who we could possible give them too..
I do like that idea of the splitting between the tanks that way! But why the green Texas on his own in the 4 fter?
:)

Texas cichlids are quite aggressive, from what little I know of them - more aggressive than oscars at any rate. I'd think your firemouth would do better with the oscar. Texas cichlids can get quite large, but oscars get larger. I'd give the fish that will be the largest the biggest tank :)

With just a firemouth and an oscar in the 6ft, I'd also suggest getting a couple more SDs. They are much happier in groups. I have 8 of them, an oscar and a severum in my 6 x 2 and they're all very healthy. The tank looks busy and active thanks to the SDs without being overcrowded at all.

You could try giving the convicts to a LFS or rehoming them on gumtree, but failing that, keeping the convict in the 6 x 2 probably wouldn't be too bad space-wise. The firemouth might cop it though.

@Poseidon: API Filstars are just impossible to get here in Aus :( I was trying to hunt one down before I got the Fluval. I'd have to ship one from the US and the cost of shipping just wasn't worth it.

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

So if we did and up doing the split into the 2 tanks as you suggest (which we will most likely be doing, seems the best way at this stage)would there be any other fish that could possibly go with the green texas?
Just because I don't really want just one fish in there.
So the convicts or just one (being aggressive also) couldn't be in the 4ft with the green Texas?

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Didn't realize everyone was in Australia. That is too bad. Fluval's are very good, but more expensive.

ETA: I mean too bad they don't sell the API canisters! Not that you live in Australia. Ha. :whistle:

If your 4ft is a 4ft x 14 inch (35cm) x 20 inch (the standard size for 4ft tanks here) then it's only a 55 gallon tank. No, you couldn't put anything else with the texas cichlid without being overstocked, and that tank is probably going to eventually be too small for the texas when it reaches adult size. They can reach 30cm long, it will barely have enough room to turn around... imagine adding tank mates to a space that cramped. The convict and texas would end up fighting until one killed the other due to having no space even if you could keep the nitrates down (keep in mind adult convicts can reach 5 inches long +, males especially).

I can understand not wanting to have one fish in a tank by itself, but in my experience I highly recommend it. I have a red devil cichlid in a 4ft x 2ft x 18inch (so 90 gal, or ~340L) alone. The pros: It's great for the fish health-wise, it makes tank maintenance easier, and it makes it more likely that you'll have a 'wet pet' as well. My RD follows people around the tank, takes food from hands etc etc. It's just like having a hyperactive, moody dog in a tank, personality wise. The cons: ... If I think of any I'll get back to you.

Lol Poseidon, you'd probably be right on both counts :whistle:

Edit: Nevermind, made new post.

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Waters replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Considering that, might upgrade the 4ft tank to a 4ft by 2ft! (My partner is looking at some now actually) :) In the near future as well as getting the 6fter.

Yeah RD,s are awesome fish personality wise! Look spectacular too. But can only keep then in a tank by thenselves as well as they eat everything hey?

You seem to have good tank set ups,

We are still learning the ropes, so Will eventually get there in time!

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

The other option you could have would be to keep the oscar, texas and firemouth in the 6x2 with the 4 SDs, and keep the convicts as a pair in the 55gal alone - it's plenty big enough for them but god help any other fish you'd add to the 55. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* you'd be ok bioload wise in the 6ft tank. Provided they all get along that would also be better for the texas than being in the 55 gal. Wouldn't want to add anything else though. The main issue with that I think would be that as the texas matures, it could get quite aggressive and I don't think an oscar could stand up to it let alone the firemouth. You never know though, it's always a crapshoot when it comes to cichlids getting along or not.

My RD... she's my buddy, but she's not really a looker at the moment to be completely honest! She's probably a hybrid with... something, and used to have a lot of black but she's losing it in splotches. It looks like she's rolled in mud at the moment. But yeah, they are known for being aggressive but mine... I don't know. I brought her home from the fish lab because she was afraid of guppies so I couldn't use her in my guppy behaviour experiment (she was behind a glass barrier - observational study only), but she's been here a few months now and is turning into a real glass banger.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Yeah, I don't think the Texas would work in that mix as per the aggression you mention, but also because they themselves can get quite large (up to almost a foot). So no way that could be a long term situation. I think the FM, Oscar, and SDs would be fine, maybe even add two more SDs. Though to be sure, some folks on this list keep a single oscar in 6 foot tank.

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Okay thanks everyone for the advice and kind words! I will keep you all updated and am sure to be asking more questions!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds