4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Hmm... Yeah it'd definitely be pushing it, but I don't think Texas cichlids have a bioload equal to an oscar, and as far as I'm aware 6 x 2 x 2s are ok for 2 oscars + a few SDs.

It would be pushing it though, and I personally wouldn't want to get that close to the bioload limit even discounting the aggression.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Ok, I see, I was thinking only about the 6 foot and imagining a 125 US gallon. Those dimensions are the equivalent of a 180 US gallon. If they are in that then yes, it might be ok, depending how things work out.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

That's what I think she said the tank was? I could be wrong though, I always assume 6ft = 6x2 because I have one lol.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Here they sell 6 footers that are 21.5" x 18" x 72" (120) as well as 24" x 18" x 72" (135) and 24 x 24 x 72 (180), i think are the various standard sizes,

Anyhoo, the difference between the 120 and the 180 US gallon would likely make a difference with an aggressive fish like the Texas.

• Waters
  • Waters's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Waters replied the topic: Re:4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

We are going to have a look at a 6ft x 2.5ft today :D .

Alysia replied the topic: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Been following this thread.

Did you end up upgrading to a larger tank? Glad to hear you've been thinking of upgrading. When many of us get into fishkeeping, we're just clueless about how to properly raise and care for healthy, growing fishies. When I first started in the hobby years ago, I bought an oscar fish knowing nothing about them, and had him in a 30 gallon tank with a mishmash of different fish until they got to a certain size then I finally upgraded to a 75. I had no idea a 30 gallon was super puny and a horrible size for that type of fish. But you learn with time, and thankfully there are now plenty of forums and sites such as this one with resourceful information.

I currently have a 150 gallon and in it I've got 2 large oscars (1 is 11", 1 is 8"), 2 5" silver dollars (I adopted them from a woman who re-homes fish, otherwise I'd look into getting 4-5 since they're shoaling fish) and an almost 5" Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, and I am already in the process of fishless cycling a 90 gallon tank for the EBJD alone. Less is more with most of the fish being discussed in this thread. I find the personalities of each fish tend to shine more when the tanks aren't crowded. Plus it means less upkeep and work on your part. :)

I'm not sure if this was discussed either but you don't need to feed them everyday. I usually feed my fish 4-5 days a week.

As for filters, if you don't want to spend a lot of money, I'd definitely recommend looking into API Filstar filters API Filstar filters . I had the XP-L on my 150, but upgraded recently to a Fluval FX6 :) In retrospect, I should probably have picked up the API Filster XP-XL for the 150, but the Fluval was so worth it.

Hope this all works out for ya! Do show us pics when it's all set up :)

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Waters replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Hey yeah we have upgraded to a 6x2 x 2.5 ft tank :) so big !

We only only have one Oscar now and his tank mates

Unfortunately the red tiger died of unknown reasons):

• Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Waters replied the topic: Re:Re: 4ft Tank for 2 Oscars now and Tank mates

Still learning slowly: ) :unsure:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds