one oscar chasing the other off

• LePurge
  • LePurge's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

LePurge created the topic: one oscar chasing the other off

hey I have 2, 3inch long Oscars which I bought them together at the aquarium shop and were both in the same tank of about 30 when purchased had them for almost 3 weeks and recently 1 is chasing the other off around the tank forcing him to hide behind a statue then every now and again chasing him from behind the statue, however when its feeding time he doesn't chase him off and when i'm cleaning the tank they swim together and sulk together its just as if he is doing it as something to do? will he eventually stop this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: one oscar chasing the other off

You have territorial cichlids displaying natural behavior. Its unlikely to stop, will surely get worse actually. I would advise to be prepared to rehome 1 fish. A bullied Oscars health will deteriorate rapidly from the stress of being harassed. Food is priority for small Oscars, so not unusual that they feed together. After food comes territory, this will be an ongoing problem.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: one oscar chasing the other off

What size is your tank? It's always hit and miss whether two oscars will get along. Two oscars need a minimum 125gal 6ft tank to have a realistic shot of coexisting peacefully even at that small size. If you have a 4ft tank you will need to rehome one if you can't provide another tank for it. Aggression doesn't tend to dissipate over time with cichlids, the bullying will likely only get worse as time goes on.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: one oscar chasing the other off

Rehome will be your best option.

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds